Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Swap W/NG engine and tank

I just bought an ariel Anstey link frame (1951) and running gear with a 350 engine and gearbox.

The engine looks to be W/NG as does the petrol tank. The frame is for a KH500 twin.

I am absolutely not precious about having a WNG engine fitted. Seems a shame for me to run around with a ww2 engine in a later frame, when a people are looking to make up genuine military bikes.
So, I'd be willing to swap the engine and tank for similar Ariel KH500 items (cash either way).. I don't want to sell it as then I am left with no engine...

The engine number is BH45162 (early 1945).
It's complete apart from the rocker feed pipes.
The big end is good (and I have a spare one in grease paper anyway) and the bearings seem ok - but I haven't split the cases yet.
It has it's primary cases, chains, oil pump etc etc etc. There is a small chunk out of the cases but this is unthreaded and an easy fix

I also have a W/NG tank. Solid but has two hollows down each side .. ???

Let me know if you are interested.
I can email pictures if needed.

I do occasionally read and post on this forum, as I run an enfield wdc with a WDCO engine, so this isn't a spurious post from a mystery punter

cheers

John

email (option): madoc500@hotmail.com

Re: Swap W/NG engine and tank

Hi John..The Ariel 'fluted' tank sounds more like a civvy one from a different model...good luck with your project..KH 500 stuff is hard to find ....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

http://forum.arielownersmcc.co.uk/download/file.php?id=667&mode=view

They are not flutes
It's not got the saddle cut out at the back and no screw holes for the badges.

I just thought I'd offer.
Any ariel engine would "power" us along, quite happily.

Now I get it...it's the recesses for the Ariel transfers..Easiest option for a twin engine would be a Huntmaster I should think, if it will fit that frame OK...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Don't think 650cc huntmaster engines fit. They were in swingarm frames.

I am not that bothered. This WNG engine is all there and will likely run with minimal expense (which is a very good thing ..)

I was trying to get my wife interested in riding an older bike and something that is low and that would kick a bit easier (500 twin or 350 with lower comp piston) would be the way forward. As I am in the AOMCC, then sticking with Ariels seemed best.

cheers,

Hey John, that looks like a late war tank. The W/NG was fitted with three types of tank, early with badges and knee grip mounts, 1943 on with transfers and no knee grip mounts, with the late type having one "kneegrip" mount reinstated for Vokes filter mounting.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

The tank and engine are probably contemporary, then.

I've been told that it's not a mark but another letter in front, which makes it an "NBH" prefix on the engine number. That makes it Royal Navy.

It's nice to know a little more as I got no paperwork.
The frame is a 1952, according to the club.

Thanks everyone.

Nieuwe pagina 1