Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WD Battery cases

I have four 1944 dated battery cases left from my last batch and won't have any more until Stafford Show in the spring...so if you need one for your winter rebuild now is the time...For those not familiar with them they are a replica of the WD battery with the wartime Lucas markings and date and can be fitted with a modern gel battery or similar...price is £26 plus shipping.. On a related subject I am still looking for a NiFe early style battery to replicate..or clear photos of one. If anyone knows of one that can be made available they will be suitably rewarded....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: WD Battery cases

Photobucket

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Hi Ian, do you have, or are you going to get any battery cases with an earlier date on?

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi Horror...There will be 1940 ones in the next batch along with the 44s..those are the only two I do....Ian

Can you reserve me a 1940 case when you get them please

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Can you reserve me a 1940 case when you get them.

Thanks Roel

email (option): roel3@hetnet.nl

Can you reserve me a 1940 case when you get them.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Reserve me a 1940 case also when you get them.

Pete

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

I should have said I wasn't doing anymore 1940 ones ....Ever since I started doing the two types I've never got the bloody right ones ..I'll get another batch underway sooner than planned...Ian

Stop bloody moaning and just get on with it. We're all eager to give you money!! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nag,Nag,Nag....

hi ian
whats the difference.and how much to australia
mark

email (option): markbrob1@hotmail.com

Hi Mark...The only difference is the date marked on the case...mail me direct regarding your requirements...Ian

Ian Wright
I should have said I wasn't doing anymore 1940 ones ....Ever since I started doing the two types I've never got the bloody right ones ..I'll get another batch underway sooner than planned...Ian

No chance of 1939 dated then, I suppose ? I'll just have to wait for the Ni-Fe Do we even know what colour they were or if they carried WD ^ markings ?

Hi Rik..The quick answer to both those questions is 'no' unfortunately. As far as the NiFe battery is concerned I'm waiting for the experts on that period to come up with the info!!...From existing pictures it would be quite easy to calculate the overall dimensions but the lighter coloured lower section of the one in Henks photo could be any colour...Going by more modern batteries you would think white...but most batteries of the period were all black, with the NiFe being an exception it seems.
No photos as yet show any marking detail and an original example seems to be an elusive beast...they probably all ended up on Wermacht rubbish tips ...Ian

As far as I can tell, the Ni-Fe's in BEF use were painted but I don't know if that was done 'in service'.

I can't see any markings on them.

They were probably in the minority by May 1940 - The Norton factory registers show 'Lead Batteries now standard' from the first week of October 1939 onwards and as far as I can recall, both types were fitted prior to that.

did they change the battery cases over those 5 years much?

email (option): kschaank@hotmail.com

They were dated so only the moulded-in date stamp altered. The general outline remained unaltered.

ah i see good to know. still need one too :)

email (option): kschaank@hotmail.com

Hi Ian,

i take one 1944 battery case for my 3HW project

email (option): tiger100@telenet.be

Hi Marnic..Can you mail me direct to place the order?...That is it for 44 boxes..the remainder have been sold. I will post again when the next batch (both dates) are available....Ian

i know you are inundated with enquiries but could i ask what was the T shaped batteries

email (option): roger.back@node6.com

The 'T' shaped batteries utilised a special anti-vibration mount - they fixed over studs with rubbers. As far as I'm aware, they were an extra-cost option on civilian machines, not standard WD issue.

Ian. ill take one. you can send me Robb`s too and i can forward onto him.

email (option): v8zspeed@yahoo.com

hi Ian, I sent you an e mail about these I could well be interested. but can you tell me, are they rubber as you find on E Bay or a rather better more realistic job? thx

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

They are better Andrew...trust me.... ..Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1