Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
jamming kickstart

I have had a look through past posts but so far have not found an answer to my problem. Funnily enough, I recall that when I last rode the bike, 24 years ago, it did have a tendency to slightly jam at the top. If you rock the vehicle, and move the gears it works ok, Any ideas? Is it likekly to be something on the kickstart or in the gearbox? When you move the kickstart down there is small ammount of movement where nothing happens and sometimes the kickstart will not return from this position without encouragement.

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

Re: jamming kickstart

Hi Andrew,

I’m sure someone here will have a better answer than me,
But usually the kickstarter do not jump back when it’s return spring is about to break or is too weak.
The “free” section were nothing happens is ok, and is the toothless section of the kickstart shaft quadrant.
If it this free is way too long, may be the quadrant is worn, or a thin Kickstarter quadrant stop rubber.
You can narrow down the slack by replacing the Kickstarter quadrant stop rubber with a new one.
Henk Has some for sale.

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Hi |Andrew, The first few teeth on the kickstart quadrant are cut back to help engagement (with the kickstart ratchet pinion). Wear on these teeth, bad wear in the quadrant bush and the part of the quadrant it turns on, wear of the teeth on the ratchet pinion and wear of the bush that the ratchet pinion turns on can all contribute to the teeth getting 'tangled' and jamming as they initialy engage..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

thanks for the replies guys. I have stripped the gearbox and rebuilt it, and fitted a new kickstart rubber in the process. I will get to the stage of running the bike and see whether it frees off a bit before taking the outer cover off again, but bearing in mind its not got any oil in yet, and I just remembered that its in fourth gear ( I Know.... but until I push it down the road I cannot easily select neutral) these may be contributing to it being a bit tricky on the kickstart. I will have another look at it, and bearing in mind your comments hopefully I can sort it. cheers

You will notice the small gear that the kickstart gear meshes with, it usually has a raised section that is unworn, simply grind the raised part down and this stops it jamming

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

thanks for the intel Dave. That sounds a very likely cause. I will try that and report back. cheers AH

Nieuwe pagina 1