Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
regulator unit MCR1 vs MCR2

Read somewhere, maybe here on the forum, that the 2 type is not suitable for the WM20. Ran out of the type 1 in my stock and wondered what was the element that made the type 2 unsuitable for the early 40 amps shunt wound generator.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Re: regulator unit MCR1 vs MCR2

According to 'Radco', they are interchangeable. The MCR2 was simply an improved version with a carbon resistance under the dome instead of the wire-wound resistor on the MCR1.

It superseded the MCR1 from 1949-on and should be more reliable but it's oh-so-ugly with that nasty high cover with a carbuncle on the back.

I took the decision that an MCR1 body with electronic under was a better choice as it retained the original lines.

If it's an under-saddle fitment then you might want to check clearance with a heavy rider !

Thanks Rik, I see your point about the heavy rider! Who is "Radco" by the way. Also missing the point on that carbon resistance gizmo. Looking at my type 2s I did not notice that. But will take another look.

Here is a comparison shot. Don't see that carbon gizmo.... Also have a question on how these type 1 are used with specific batteries, I understand the NI batteries require a different type of regulator. Too many questions...so little timePhotobucket

You need to look at the underneath of the unit to see the resistor.

'Radco' is Frank Farrington. He wrote a series of authoritative aricles in the 'Classic Motorcycle', many of which were complied in 'The Vintage Motorcyclists' Workshop' - It's a bible for those of us without any proper training.

The resistors are on the back of the unit (where the bulge on the cover goes), not the front. I'd always thought that MCR2s had the terminals arranged 'FAED' rather than 'FADE'- Is that an original MCR2 or a rebuilt MCR1 ?

I have an MCR1 marked 'Ni-Fe' - the batteries need five cells to achieve six volts. I believe that a Ni-Fe cvc box will be set too high for a lead-acid battery but I don't know if there were internal differences beyond how it was set.

Try it and see !

Hi Henri,

Usually you can see the resistors under the regulators,
Designed to release an excessive potential and to convert it to hear.
It is situated out of the body in order to release the heat out, but to be honest I also
Did not find it on the Lucas regulators.

From what I know, the 2 model is “Stronger” and the contacts last much longer.

The Lucas regulators has an interesting feature to have a “High” when using the lights
and “Low” charge for regular drive.

Nowadays we usually only use the “High” charge, as we use the bike much less.

Charging of all of the Ni-Mh and others is basically the same.
You would expect a 7.2 Volt for a “6V” battery.

I consulted sometime ago with a guy which import them and is really a professional.
He assured me that there should not be an issue, just that the “Dry cells” are not recommended for use
In vehicle with a starter, as it is not suitable for a high current (Amp) draw as a started demand.

The advantage of the dry cells is that it can recover more times from being drained and get charged again.
The lead-acid is not designed for that and cannot be drained and recharged many times.

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/imgytr/pdf/lucas.pdf

http://www.bsawiki.com/index.php?title=Chapter26

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/books/lts_otcc/Session5_GeneratorControl.pdf

Might be worth putting link/s in the thech section.

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Thanks very much Ian, Rik, Noam.

Very informative indeed and detailed info for my humble request. How small is that resistor and would it show on the bottom of those resistors stacked in the photos?

Noam, thanks for the great links. Now to built a gadget running the Dyno.

Rik, FADE on all of thosePhotobucket

As a matter of interest, I have two regs hooked up on the same wire harness. Wonder whether that was connected to a sidecar generator setupPhotobucket.

Actually have the pulley for that set up and saw it in action years back.

Must say I gave the wrong info reguards the position of the resistor, it's the car types that have the resistor on the base, wire wound on the early ones and large round carbon ones later. Sorry

The resistors are internal on the MCR1s and 2s. It's purpose is to prevent burning of the contact points and it is located between the 'F' and 'D' terminals.

The MCR1s seem to have varied slightly in internal construction over the years. I've never seen any two with the same part number on the lid.

I have one cannibalised unit where the resistance wire can be seen running from the 'F' terminal, round the back of the regulator coil and probably re-appearing somewhere near the 'D'.

On an earlier unit, the resistor seems to be hidden inside the shellaced paper round the regulator core.

On the MCR2 you can't miss it, it's a small carbon disc mounted on the rear of the frame above the regulator adjusting screw.

Hi Henry,

Did you pick every regulator from every jumble?.. LOL..

As I mentioned, I also did not find this resistor on a Lucas I hold in my hand right now. (1 model)
But did see it on all other makers regulators like Delco-Remi, Bosch and others.
Kind regards,
Noam Zehavi

Hi,

Here are photos of regulators of various makers.
I marked the resistor with an arrow.

Could not find one on Lucas.
Photobucket

Sure enough Noam, I see the red arrows.

Used a BSA detector that worked well in the sands of the ME. My favorite part of the world.

Rick, found the round carbon disk in the back. Am totally enlightned. Tks.

Here are some more finds todayPhotobucketPhotobucket

Nieuwe pagina 1