Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mainshaft Bearing Fit

How tight should the bearings be on the mainshaft?
BSA service say tight but hand fit.
On mine the timing side will need driving on,
but the drive side bearings slide down the shaft under their own weight.
Thanks.

Re: Mainshaft Bearing Fit

Pat, I have the same problem. The ball bearing on the timing side is not tight on the shaft. A friend of me adviced me to make some pitches (scratches)with a punch into the shaft.I don't know if that is the correct methode ???
I hope someone else can give us a better advice.
BSA regards from Belgium
Eric

email (option): ericvangils@skynet.be

Don't go making marks on the shaft to get the bearing to fit use Loctite Bearing fit, this will take up a few thou of slack and do no damage. If at some point you need to remive the bearing use a gas torch to the shaft near the bearing and the heat will break the bond. I have used this method for many years with no problems.

Ian Clare
Don't go making marks on the shaft to get the bearing to fit use Loctite Bearing fit, this will take up a few thou of slack and do no damage. If at some point you need to remive the bearing use a gas torch to the shaft near the bearing and the heat will break the bond. I have used this method for many years with no problems.

I agree with Mr. Clare...

The Loctite bearing mount will work well to take up a small amount of clearance and prevent the shaft from turning inside the bearing....

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

Nieuwe pagina 1