Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Contract Number Plate

My WM has a blank spot on the rear fender surrounded by 4 small holes, which I understand once held a brass plate that identified the contract number under which this machine was purchased by the WD from BSA.

I am not so much of a purist that I would require a plate with the "correct" contract number, but is there a source for a contract plate reproduction that I could install to heal those empty rivet holes?

Please advise...

Thanks,

John D Edwards

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

Re: Contract Number Plate

Hi John..Rob Miller who contributes to this forum makes nice replicas of the contract plates...He is at the Malvern Military event this weekend but will no doubt respond when he sees your post...or you can mail him.. robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk ...Ian

That does seem a bit high...but less so if you have a bike from that contract I suppose..Ian

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your very prompt responses, and excellent advice....

I will contact Mr. Miller and see if he can make up an appropriate contract plate for my
WM.

Cheers,

John D.

I will be making some more brass contract plates this winter when I have perfected my new potion.

Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

I have an original plate for sale for BSA contract S5209 for bikes with frame numbers from WM20-104818 up to M20-116817.

Henk

BSA Contract plate

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Henk WM21 2415
I have an original plate for sale for BSA contract S5209 for bikes with frame numbers from WM20-104818 up to M20-116817.

Henk

BSA Contract plate

Henk,

The contract plate I require will be larger, almost square, so as to fit the holes already drilled in my fender... Thank you for the offer..

Mr. Miller,

Excellent...Please let us know when you are ready.

That is probably not a contract plate and more likely a rebuild plate.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Henk WM21 2415
That is probably not a contract plate and more likely a rebuild plate.

Henk.

Henk, good to know...I will try to send you a picture via email of what I think it should look like...I have no way to attach here.

Thanks..

JDE

We've looked fairly closely at these motorcycle contract plates and although they changed from brass to steel, the format was unaltered from pre-war to the end of production.

As Henk implies, invariably with two holes.

It might be a good idea to post a photo of your tailpiece with the holes as somebody may recognise what was fitted there. It may be a contract plate and perhaps a wartime tail light rather than one item.

Sometimes there are 2 holes for the WD tail lamp with 2 more holes underneath for the contract plate?
Rob

Rob Miller
Sometimes there are 2 holes for the WD tail lamp with 2 more holes underneath for the contract plate?
Rob

After looking at the picture of the plate Henk just sent me, it appears that what I am seeking is a post-war rebuild plate as installed on the bike pictured here..

Photobucket

Photobucket

Rik
As I obliquely said and Rob made clearer. The likeliest explanation for four holes is WD tail lamp above the contract plate, as in this example.

Sorry Rik I didn't read your post properly before answering

Its quite unusual to find a rebuild plate high up on the mudguard, when they were put on in the 50s there was usually a number plate there?

And thats a great picture with the kit layout, thanks

Hi henk
That contract plate suits my machine
You might let me know how much please
We could combine that and the other part you have for me
Many thanks
Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

can you buy new unstamped rebuild plates

email (option): roger.back@node6.com

:-(

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Hey Roger,

Where can you buy these plates?

I't like an office memo: "Please ee me about this."
when; A- who are you, and B- what does "this" mean?

Goat an address or website?

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

About 2 years ago there was a dealer here in the UK who had boxes of unissued brass rebuild plates, I seem to remember it was Marcus Glen.

Marcus.glenn@btinternet.com

I can't remember which one came from there though?

Photobucket

But would it be right retro fitting one to a vehicle, anything you stamped on it would be fake and would then blur any real remaining history connected to your bike/vehicle.

And most of us restore our bikes to wartime trim when these plates didn't even exist.

Rob

Rob Miller "But would it be right retro fitting one to a vehicle, anything you stamped on it would be fake and would then blur any real remaining history connected to your bike/vehicle.

And most of us restore our bikes to wartime trim when these plates didn't even exist."

Rob,

First of all, thank you for providing the pictures and information; I will check to see if Mr. Glenn has any plates and is willing to sell them.

Regarding your concerns about the authenticity of installing one of these plates; From my perspective, my machine had a long service life after the war, and it had such a plate installed during that service.

While I cannot say what all the information inscribed on the plant might have been, I can honestly insert the chassie number and the rebuild info I do have.

Filling the spot (and the mounting holes) where my machine's repair plate was originally installed is, for me at least, a reasonable and legitimate step in returning this machine to its condition at the point of its being "mustered out" of service...

Again, thank you, and everyone on this forum, for sharing the collective knowledge and wisdom needed to keep these machines up and running.

Cheers,

JDE

Hi John, its your bike and not for me to tell anyone what to do.

So good luck with finding one, Rob.

Ahh...The old problem of choosing where/if history stops.
If a bike is restored to a wartime spec. that eliminates visually all subsequent history. The fact it is restored at all eliminates all previous visual history..or is that restoration an ongoing part of its history?..like the neglect that preceded it.
If so what you fit or don't fit, do or don't do doesn't matter a jot...it's all part of the history of the bike...and you are just making your contribution.
It strikes me as a bit like the idea of time travel...if you discuss it for too long you get completely confused ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I'd like to see a few more nicely restored 'National Service' motorcycles. So many have been retro-restored over the years.

Let's face it, we're all just playing around with old vehicles (and I know of no finer hobby )

The important thing as far as I'm concerned is that we know what we're doing and why.

My 16H saw an abrupt end to its service career in May 1940 and in restoring it I tried to keep in mind the idea that someone mysteriously transported by Ian's time machine from 1940 would see nothing which jarred. In that respect, I failed but I did my best and enjoyed trying.

I think I know what I'm doing..but after 40 years at it I am still not entirely sure why...aren't we all supposed to want new bikes?...If I did have a time machine I could save myself a sh*****d of work and just pop back to BSA and try a new old machine thus miraculously converting myself into one of the people with a new bike...I think...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

As per Mr. Miller's contact: Marcus Glenn, Looks like the plates are available...

Marcus Glenn

To John Edwards

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email. We have some of the vehicle data plates (as per your second picture) priced at £10.00 each plus shipping - shipping for 1 plate approx £5.00

Kind regards,

Jennie Glenn.

On 27 Nov 2011, at 15:59, John Edwards wrote:

> Mr. Glenn,
>
> Your name came up on the wdbsa.nl forum as someone who might have a supply of the plates used on WD motorcycles to track the repair history.
>
> The attached picture shows several styles that were in use post-war.
>
> I would be interested in purchasing one if available.
>
> Please advise..
>
> Thank you,

Nieuwe pagina 1