Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Canadian Insignia

While researching tank insignia, came across this website.
http://home.cogeco.ca/~gdavidson1/home.html

Does anybody have any pictures of BSA M20's with Canadian tank insignia?
Am I correct in stating the division emblem goes on the left side of the tank, while the unit designation goes on the right?

Thanks,, Vincent

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Re: Canadian Insignia

These are the only two Canadians on M20's I have.

Henk

Photobucket

Photobucket

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Vincent, you really need a copy of Clive Law's book - "The Canadian Military Motorcycle"

http://www.servicepub.com/gen-pub.html

There are a number of M20 images, including the well-known one of Pte. Wilkins of the Essex Scottish Regt. asleep on the M20 with a sten leant against the panniers. It has some section markings but no formation sign.

Rik
Vincent, you really need a copy of Clive Law's book - "The Canadian Military Motorcycle"

http://www.servicepub.com/gen-pub.html

There are a number of M20 images, including the well-known one of Pte. Wilkins of the Essex Scottish Regt. asleep on the M20 with a sten leant against the panniers. It has some section markings but no formation sign.

Thanks Rik, I already have that book- but always looking for more info , pictures or details.
I've prettuy much decided on the Canadian insignia on the left, the West Nova Scotia Regiment unit marking on the right- unlesss somebody else tells me that isn't accurate.
Vince

There is also a book on camouflage and markings of WW2 Canadian Armoured Vehicles if you want examples of markings..
www.landmarkmilitarybooks.com ...Ian

Strictly speaking, and if the Canadians followed the War Office directives then there shouldn't be any formation signs on motorcycles by 1944 (and I've not seen photos of BSAs in Canadian service prior to that)

You really just need an Arm of Service serial.

You're right about tank sides, you should have the 1 CID on the left, red with a yellow leaf, not gold, that is a post war thing. The right side is the unit sign, not sure about the West Novies, North Novies was white 69 in a brown square. As far as putting them on, you're all set, they were in Italy and there are pictures of m-20's in Canadian service with unit and divisional signs in Italy 1943.

samuel cormier
You're right about tank sides, you should have the 1 CID on the left, red with a yellow leaf, not gold, that is a post war thing. The right side is the unit sign, not sure about the West Novies, North Novies was white 69 in a brown square. As far as putting them on, you're all set, they were in Italy and there are pictures of m-20's in Canadian service with unit and divisional signs in Italy 1943.

Thanks Sam, you confirm what I wanted to do anyway. I found a website with Canadian unit signs, but not too sure how accurate it is yet- now need to know the size of the emblems for the tank sides.
Vince

Hi Vincent..The 'squares' are approx 5" square..Ian

That is a really useful website Vincent. My 16h is from contract 11082 and it seems most of this contract were used by the Canadians. Rik sent me a picture of a bike that could possibly even be my bike.
My bikes number is C4602473

Photobucket

Well ok, 1 in 100 chance then as you can see the unit number has been placed over the last 2 digits.
With the help of that website I can now see it's a white 60 with a green background. It would seem that every Infantry Div and Armoured Div have a regiment in it with the 60 unit number so I'm guessing by that I could use any of those formation signs? Or would it have just had the "C" number on the left?

As I'm not having any luck finding out about any British reg markings I was thinking of having, this might be the way I'll go, with a photo that I can say is my bike Thanks Vincent

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Dave,
That's a really neat photo, maybe I'll install one of those map rolls on my bike and call it a 1943 GPS!
The photo is notable as the goggles seem to be distinctly Canadian- and virtually impossible to source. Looks from photos like a foam piece surrounds a more standard type goggle, I may have to make up something similar.
If anybody knows where I can find that type of goggles I'd love to find a pair.
Vincent

People spend a fortune finding the correct DR gear... but it looks like all you need to do is find a drunk, sleeping tramp and take his coat

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1