Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
serial number question

I have a new to me M20 and am confused by the serial numbers, yes numbers as in plural. On the left side of the down tube at the level of the fuel tank is stamped "112044/R" further down on the left hand side stamped into the front engine mount lug that is attached to the down tube is stamped "KM20 2757". There is no engine serial number. It has a number plate (pedestrian splitter) on the front fender "HC 343A"

Does anyone have an opinion as to which number is correct?
What does the "/R' on the first number mean?
Why is there no engine serial number?

To further confuse matters the Title states that this is a 1940 model.

It appears to be a war model. I am told that after the war it was shipped to Canada after which it was sold to private owners.

Any help in identifying this bike would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Larry

email (option): lar19492002@yahoo.com

Re: serial number question

Hi Larry

It sounds like an interesting bike.

The KM20 number appears to be in the same place as other known KM20s so is probably original.

The WM20 number is also in the correct place but I would guess was added when the bike went through a rebuild and that is my guess for the letter "R".

The registration number doesn't look right for the UK, could it be Canadian?

Neither of the frame numbers appear in the keycards so there is very little to go on.

Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

This bike is in de frame number list already and the KM number makes it 1939.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Hi Larry, Replacement crankcases were supplied without a number...this being applied by the REME etc. workshop that fitted them. NOS crankcases without numbers do turn up occassionally, I have a set at the moment...and the use of these would explain the lack of an engine number...Ian

Bit off topic but as Ian says unstamped cases are around,The M20 I bought last year in florida USA, has no engine no,Post war reg is in key cards,and is as tight as a nut,So I think when rebuilt in 1952 was fitted with new gearbox and engine out of a crate,then stayed in storage till sold in in germany in 1973 if I remember corectly, not at present thinking of stamping anything on the cases, in fact not touching the bike apart from a touch up here and there where rust might start it is over painted with strange green paint with post war gloss underneath,, and fit a replacment tank, keeping the original one on the shelf,a rat bike I think andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Henk,

I did see it on the list. I am wondering what the other number at the top of the down tube (112044/R) is?

email (option): lar19492002@yahoo.com

werent replacement frame supplied without any numbers stamped on them so they could stamp the original frame number from the frame they were scrapping

Larry Carlson
I am wondering what the other number at the top of the down tube (112044/R) is?

It looks like a late war frame number, not sure about the R. Maybe Re-stamped??? I know a guy in Belgium that has a similar combination as your bike has. A picture of the frame numbers would make things more clear.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1