Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
TAPS - Not the kind you might think...

Off Topic, but worth it..
On this weekend, for anyone who appreciates the sacrifices made by our Armed Forces, read on...

Many of you will have heard ‘The Last Post’ played on a Bugle, but did you know it’s other name, well it’s TAPS and you have probably not heard it played in its entirety. The Last Post was written in 1801 by Daniel Butterfield and in 1862 it was shortened to the familiar 24 notes for ceremonial occasions and renamed TAPS. Click on the link below and listen to the full version played by a 13 year old young lady named Melissa Venema, I assure you it’s worth it.

http://www.flixxy.com/trumpet-solo-melissa-venema.htm

email (option): dave.stapleton626@virgin.net

Re: TAPS - Not the kind you might think...

Wonderful and moving !

Thanks,
Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Walgelijk, kitsch en afleidend van waar het voor staat: geen commercie!

Sorry, in English, awful, kitsch and making money in a sentimental way over what the last post stands for.

email (option): rvanmeel@wanadoo.nl

Rob, Sorry you didn't like it but I think you are missing the point, this IS the original version of the Last Post, not a modern take on it.

Yes, I've seen/heard this before, I know Andre Rieu and his son Pierre, they collect Military vehicles aswell!

Good to hear the original again, here's a better link, as the one you sent didn't work for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4l3Rgq-L1M

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Surely the 'Last Post' predates the US tune 'Taps' (and even the United States ?)

Daniel Butterfield wasn't born until 1831 so would have struggled to write it in 1801.

Whatever next ? "Come to the Cookhouse Door" started life as part of a MacDonald's advertising campaign ?

Il Silenzio was written in 1965 wasn't it? Sort of a spin off of Taps and Last Post I thought but written as pop music.

I thoroughly enjoyed the trumpet solo from that young girl, but I decided to look up the origins. Funnily enough it comes from HOLLAND. Ron

This custom dates from at least the 17th century, and originated with British troops stationed in The Netherlands, where it drew on an older Dutch custom, called taptoe, from which comes the term Tattoo as in Military tattoo, and also the term Taps, q.v.. The taptoe was also used to signal the end of the day, but has more prosaic origin. Taptoe originated signalling the moment that beer taps had to be shut, hence that the day had ended. It comes from the Dutch phrase Doe den tap toe, meaning "Turn the tap off": however the Dutch "Taptoe" bugle call Taptoesignaal, now used for remembrance events, is not the same tune as the Last Post. Neither Last Post nor Taptoesignaal is to be confused with the US call "Taps", which has a similar function but different tune and origin.

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

'Last post' has multiple functions and takes different forms...so there is no difinitive version..each one has it's own particular history. 'Sunset' known as well as the 'Retreat Call' is also used in the British Army to signal the end of the day. 'Last Post' can be used to signal the end of the day, the end of the evening inspection, the end of a battle and as a call for the fallen....Ian

But, at the end of the day (pun) the Girl can blow her own trumpet, and bloody good as well

I was a bugler in the Sea Cadets as a boy. We played 'Sunset' as the Ensign was lowered at the end of the evenings training. I always thought that it was the Naval version of 'Last Post'?? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

'Sunset' was written in 1932 as a Naval Bugle call and was a variation on an existing call..Also used by the Marines and the Royal Regiment of Artillery officially and unofficially by other Army units.
As a point of interest there are 296 British Forces Bugle Calls...Ian

Well there you go, we've all learnt something here I guess. I have learnt that I had only read part of the story behind Taps, the Last Post , Silence etc. so forgive me for that. Still it doesn't detract from the the girl's mastery of the trumpet, very impressive.

Nieuwe pagina 1