Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Petrol tap filters

There was a thread some time ago about someone who made filters for petrol taps. Does anybody know who he was? I want to buy new filters for my petrol taps.

Photobucket

email (option): ferrarakias@hotmail.com

Re: Petrol tap filters

Hi Kostas,
Here the link:

http://thb-support.nl/webshop/index.php?cPath=48&osCsid=82e4e808e2b408ec5c913405c01df332

regards,

Bram

If I was thinking about fitting new filters to petrol taps then I'd consider a paper type of some sort rather than the wire gauze types. The reason being is that you need to filter out the finest rust that gets through the usual gauze filters. This is the reason why cork taps don't last, as they are abraded away so quickly.

If you think about this rust dust between the cork and the tap barrel and the movement too and forth as the tap is pulled on and pushed off, then little wonders why the corks leak after a short time.

I doubt if such paper filters are made in place of the gauze and cant see why someone with a bit of ingenuity could not make something up.

Hi LG.

Paper filters inside the tank would not have enough
face surface in order to maintain a good fuel flow,
at least for highway drive, and would clog very fast.

Usually, paper filter are intended for use in vehicles with a fuel pump. gravity is often not strong enough to pass it trough the paper.

I do use a paper filter after a net filter in my bike,
but I learned from experience that the paper filter (On the fuel line) should be of the bigger, "Fat" type,
with allot of face surface.
Otherwise it does not last very long and start starving the carb very quickly.

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

The problem with the filters on the link above is that they look to be threaded 1/4" BSP male, with a female 1/8" BSP intended to take a 1/8" fuel tap.

The Norton Enots taps are already 1/4" and there is no clearance above the carb inlet to reposition the taps.

The original taps had brass gauze closed tubes soldered directly to the face of the tap. I took a couple of the gauze tubes from some leaky 1970s lever type taps and soldered them to the Enots bodies.

Nieuwe pagina 1