Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Being prepared

Although I have not been riding as much as I would like to this year, I have always carried items on my bike, a little like Hans kit just to get yourself out of trouble.

One of these items I carried was a spare inner tube and until someone needed it today, I thought everything would have been spot on

I couldn't have been more wrong

My new unused tube was worse then the one that came off my friends bike and had it seems split in may places where it was folded - it has been in my pannier bag now for sometime, maybe this was the reason.

If someone here carries a spare tube in the pannier bag like I do, do you have any recommendations as to how you can store it without this happening. I had always thought I was well covered with a spare tube, but today puts an end to that theory

I am now thinking of " slime " in the tubes, anyone used this before - or any type of tyre/tube sealant

Many thanks

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Re: Being prepared

John
Like most off road riders I used to get lots of punchures until I put slim in the inner tube, after which my tyre never went down while riding, I just needed to pump them up occasionaly to get the proper pressure when I checked them.
When I removed the tyres to replace them I found lots of solidified sealant inside the rear tyre, making a bit of a mess of the rim, rim tape and the tyre, but it all cleaned up ok.
The tube had obviously had several punchures that the slime had always sealed with only a minor loss of air. So for me it worked out well and has never left me stuck on the trail.
On my Commando which has no slime in the tyres, I had a punchure that I tried to fix with one of those emergancy aerosol can sealants. That did not work, even with pumping the tyre after putting the foam in-- the foam just came out of the hole without sealing it.

email (option): gasboy@btinternet .com

Hi John

If you carry your spare tube fully inflated you shouldn't get that trouble

But seriously I should check the tube I've been carrying for ten years, so thanks for the warning.

I have used the green gunge in the M20 and the car, we still had a blowout in the car however, and the gunge had turned to green dust, not sure if it was due to time or heat, the M20 probably still has it in the front tyre I can't honestly remember.

We got our gunge from "Mole Valley Farmers", a couple of points, I don't know if it is supposed to be used in tubes but on the plus side it is alleged to balance your wheels.

Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Hi Peter

The slime / grunge seems the way to go based on your practical experience

It would want to be a catastrophic tube failure not to work it seems

Thanks for the info

Very surprised today rob, always thought I was smarter than the average bear by keeping a spare tube - doh !!

Jo'b

I fold up my spare tube fairly tightly and fit it back into the (cut down and taped together) box that it came in. I then wrap it in a plastic bag..That fits snugly into the toolbox without rattling about. On the odd occassion I've had to use one they have always been OK...I replace the tubes on the bike itself about every third tyre as a matter of course..otherwise they can be in there for decades...Ian

Slime and better packing Ian maybe is the future

At least 5 holes in the tube all almost in line on the inner circumference

Just surprised as to how bad it was

Job

Was there any chance you may have used it at some time, and put the used tube back in the pannier?
Not unusual to get holes in the inner circumference from spoke ends.
Was it an older type butyl rubber tube, or a more modern syntehtic type? I've heard that when the newer type tubes get punctured, they can actually split and cause a total deflation, whereas an older natural rubber tube will slowly leak out, giving you a fighting chance of a safe stop.
I have an old red rubber tube that I took out of a 1949 BSA A7 that had been off the road since the 1950's- and it looks perfectly usable, no visible damage and holds air!
Coincidentally, last week at church service the minister discussed the difference between being "ready" and being "prepared"- ready is planning for the expected, while prepared is planning also for the unexpected.
Vincent

a puncture repair outfit and pump is always usefull for such occassions

powder the inner tube with talc before packing it up and a tube repair kit is good but i always put a new tube in first chance i get

email (option): roger.beck@node.com

Hi Vincent

No the tube was new - my thinking is that with the splits which appeared it was more down to storage in the pannier bag and over time friction with other items inside damaged it on the fold of the tube

I'll store the replacement better next time

That's the lesson !!

Best regards

Job

Hi Vincent

No the tube was new - my thinking is that with the splits which appeared it was more down to storage in the pannier bag and over time friction with other items inside damaged it on the fold of the tube

I'll store the replacement better next time

That's the lesson !!

Best regards

Job

John, are you going near Malvern, or is there someone I could give your plated nuts and bolts with?

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Hi dave

I hadn't planned to as its a bit of a trip away for me in the smoke and am in clog land this week also

Sorry Henk. :-D

Could anyone help me and collect my nuts from Dave at Malvern

Ooh Matron

Many Thanks

Job

I can collect them for you John, but then you have to get them from me

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1