Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wartime Albion gearbox, what was it used for?

These pictures show a wartime Albion gearbox. It's a mediumweight 4 speed R type, as used on the Royal Enfield WD/C motorcycles. The number of this gearbox starts with an RRW prefix, which makes it a late 1941 'box. But it's not a WD/C gearbox: the "Albion" text on the cover and the bottom lug are different!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Has anybody got an idea what this gearbox could have been used for?

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Re: Wartime Albion gearbox, what was it used for?

I don't know what it's off but is this it..?

http://de.vintage-motorcycle.com/index.php?language=en&site=4&pid=21&id=19433&limit=0

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

That's another one indeed! Who knows what it comes from...?

Jan

I see there is an Albion 3 speed & reverse box on there too.

Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

I just noticed that he's got two of these mystery gearboxes:
Albion number HEL 87
Albion number HEL 94

But I also noticed that these are "heavyweight model H 4 speed gearboxes", not "mediumweight model R gearboxes". Anyway, Enfield used a similar model H gearbox as well, e.g. on the pre war 350cc OHV model G and 500cc OHV model J. But again: the Enfield gearboxes have a different text on the cover, and a different bottom lug.

I also noticed that the Albion specification sheet for this gearbox is showing the "oblong" bottom lug. I guess that these gearboxes were used in other industrial applications... but where?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Jan

my dad has an old garden rotavator and it has a same type of albion gearbox fitted.
barry

email (option): mrsbfuller@hotmail.co.uk

The three speed and reverse box is either from an Indian (motorcycles) 'Patrol car' or a Pashley 'Triporteur'...Both were three wheeled carriers similar to Harley 'Servicars' but based on a 350 Enfield. The Pashleys were built in Birmingham and designed primarily for use in Africa...Ian

barry Fuller
my dad has an old garden rotavator and it has a same type of albion gearbox fitted.
barry

Thanks for the information Barry! A rotavator could indeed have been the source of such a gearbox.

But the pictures in my first post show a gearbox with a wartime number. Now I don't think that rotavators were still being built in 1941...? Which other industrial or military machine could have used such a gearbox I wonder?

Jan

jan dig for victory

email (option): roger.beck@node.com

Hi Jan, I remember as an apprentice in the 1970's working on an old 3 wheeler truck called a "Bonzer". It had a big old Villiers engine and an Albion gearbox with kickstart very similar,if not identical to the one in the picture.
The foreman sent me out to pick it up in the works truck,i had to return without it as i had only taken two loading ramps with me,i was given a serious bollocking and sent back out with an extra ramp-Happy days. Mick.

email (option): sally_jones@btinternet.com

Nieuwe pagina 1