Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Some usefull tools for Smiths speedo surgery

Had a little problem, with the G3 speedo being stuck at about 100mph, well they don't go any further then 90, so had to "open it up" I found a very usefull tool in my friends garage, it's German, but works a treat! and can be made by yourself, see picture:

Then to remove the needle, I found this gadget at home in my artillery tools, to remove needles from LBS/sq." pressure guages, for calibrating the recoil system, it also looks like easy to make in the workshop:

Also a little copper round bit, with a square filed on, to put in a drill to check the movement, doesn't do any harm:

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Lex

ps, I won't go so fast anymore, now that I know what can go wrong!

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Re: Some usefull tools for Smiths speedo surgery

thanks for the information. By the way, how do you take off the bezel .. Mine appears to have a locking rivet at the back? Is that correct or should it have been a screw?

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

Andrew, the locking device is a rivet, there's several ways to remove this, was on a post just last week, drill a small hole or something, mine was already gone!

Then you clamp the fanbelt thingy around it, and it is self tightening, for undoing or tightening, just point the arrows the right way, and with the enormous leverage, it's easy!

Looked it up on the web, they are around 25 quid.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

That looks a good idea Alex... so much better than using a huge pair of stilsons...

well I would have thought a fabric oil filter remover will do it, and I have one of those. thanks a lot.

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

I have some useful information on rebuildig these in case anyone wants a copy. Just PM me. Cheers

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

The four leaf spring bearing against the camshaft will be the culprit !

Nieuwe pagina 1