Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
tank number

hallo i am restoring my military matchless g3l 1941 . Its frame number is 26424 and its engine number is 41433. I 'd like to know the tank number. I am looking forward to having this information. You could send me your answer to the adress: phoebe2002_an@libero.it . Thank you very much in advance for the collaboration. Best regards

email (option): phoebe2002_an@libero.it

Re: tank number

You've chosen quite a complicated contract to ask about as C11102 was to have been divided between 4000 machines with Miller electrics to the Royal Army Service Corps (RASC)and 4000 with Lucas electrics to the Royal Army Ordnance Corps (RAOC).

However, the Miller machines don't seem to have been delivered in full and not all numbers were issued.

Add to this that Matchless engine and frame numbers were not identical. However, it could well be that your engine did indeed leave the factory with the frame that you have. Does it have Miller electrics ?

The frame numbers for the RASC were 26012 - 29363 (3525 made) and yours would be the 412th machine made under this contract.

The census number ('tank' number)block (3609 numbers !) ran from C943912 - C947521 and the 412th number issued would be C944324 - the last two ciphers match the last two of your frame number which is a practice that we also see on some other makes later in the war so I'm fairly confident that this would be the correct number.

The engines fitted ranged from 41012-44363 which would make the engine the 421st - as they weren't matched, I'd assume that this was within the range to be expected but I wouldn't like to say for certain if it was the original engine or not.

Although the 'Demand' was placed in 1941, delivery started on 22/1/1942.

I hope this helps.

Rik, you are right with C944324 my Matchless Census Enigma program gives the same number.

We will know if it's in the key Cards, in a couple of years time.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

That's good to know Lex. Any Key cards should at least show some patterns and may just indicate if the engines were consecutively installed (but I doubt they were).

On the assumption that this machine was demobbed in Italy, it's unlikely to appear in the cards.

Hi Anna Maria, I'm also restoring a G3L from C11102, frame no. 26194. I have managed to find a correct Miller WD/M dynamo, the only one I've ever seen. An old RASC mate of mine told me the first thing they did with these was to swap the Miller bits for Lucas, so I'm expecting the lights to be poor. Here's a pic of what it should look like, you can only see part of the tank number (C4688etc)which is from the Lucas part of the contract, but it gives you an idea-
Photobucket
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1