Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
rearframe sidecar ball mount

i have been looking at the picture of the rearframe sidecar ball mount and its location, as i will be fitting a sidecar in the spring, there was a bolt on mounting sold by bsa but i haven't found one, or a spare rear frame with fitting, so i have a choice of making up a bolt on fitting, or making up a rear circular factory fitting and brazing it on to the frame, pictures of the fitting either bolt on or factory frame mounted would be usefull if anyone has time to take some? as ever finding information on 70year old fittings isnt easy, so thoughts and pics from people who have done it would be helpfull, jon

Re: rearframe sidecar ball mount

bsa frame

BSA sidecar

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

thanks henk, it gives me the visual reference i need to make one

I must have more photos and if you want I can also make some of my own bare sidecar frame.

Henk.

Ask Watsonian sidecars, they have parts that are correct. I will post a photo of the bolt, it is specific and screws in from the inside.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

I think any 'made up' piece would have to be welded rather than brazed to the frame. The original lug is an integral part of the frame forging and an unsupported brazed joint would probably have insufficient strength for such a high load application...Ian

Welding to the frame that near a brazed joint may not be a good idea either.

Here is the special BSA bolt that screws into the frame ball joint.

Photobucket

Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

I was looking at the photographs for location and appearence,then went back to the frame and had a look, with the rough dimensions and location worked out a suitable piece can be machined and brazed in,i was also going to look at putting in an extra triangulated piece to the front of the lug fitted in betwen the two tubes and the lug so that there is greater strength in the design, a continuous braze around with support so that the lug is firmly located, theres a bit more research to do before going near the lathe and torch i will have a look for bolts,

You should swap frames with Hans muller, he has a sidecar rear frame and is looking for a standard frame.

Henk.

Yes, I'm in for a trade
Provided always that the other frame is as good as mine, a NOS

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

NOS?..Not any more Hans...you were spotted racing around in Normandy.. ..Ian

Sorry, it WAS NOS not long ago...
I am still trying to get an old one in exchange

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl