Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WDM20 Oil pump drive spindle

Is there anything that can be done to recitfy a loose fitting oil pump drive spindle #27-3296.
The precision hole for it in the crankcase has worn excessively for some reason, allowing the gear end of the spindle to move laterally, probably as much as 60 or 70 thou.
It still meshes with the worm gear on the crankshaft timing pinion #65-692, but only just.
I don't think it will last long if I were to leave it like it is.
There would be no way to tell if the pump stopped turning, only when the motor seizes up.
I could open out the hole, and insert a sleeve, but this work would be beyond my expertise, especially in my small home workshop.
Are these engines known to wear in this area?
I've rebuilt a few of them, in the past, but never come across this problem before.
May-be another set of S/H crankcases would be the only solution.
Any idea's.
Thanks in advance.
Regards Keith
ps I don't spose any-one has any engine blueprint drawings lying about.

email (option): keithatkinson@hotmail.com

Re: WDM20 Oil pump drive spindle

Hi Kieth..That is an unusual problem...I have rebuilt scores of M and B series engines and have never come across that one. Any repair would require very careful setting up of the crankcase to ensure the spindle bore was absolutely square before doing any machining...and then there is the additional problem of accurately picking up the centerline of the original spindle bore...difficult if it is not completely round any more.
I think crankcase replacement would be the best option..and perhaps the cheapest as well when set uptimes and other costs are taken into account for remachining...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1