Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Canvas grips, Glue??????????

Getting the bike ready for winter storage, I went for one last ride, having fun doing tight turns in a parking lot, the dummy grip slid clean off the bars leaving only my right hand on the throttle with the other one flailing about. I used an epoxy glue which is supposed to be good on metal and fabric, but it seems to not have worked so well on the metal, just the fabric. So anyways, after that long boring story, what's the best stuff to use?

Re: Canvas grips, Glue??????????

Far from a boring story, sounds like a few heartstopping moments of excitement! Hope no damage or injury occurred, for those of us who may be about to install some new grips it is a good warning.
What about Goop , also known as Amazing Goop, Automotive Goop? KInd of like a contact cement, and should be flexible enough not to break free.
I'm curious why your grip came loose, were the bars painted or chrome plated? What kind of epoxy did you use? Sounds like the epoxy was too rigid and broke free , maybe a more flexible adhesive is the better way to go.
Vince

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Originally the grips came with some sort of black adhesive already on the inside of the grip. The instructions were to dip the grip in petrol to soften the glue before sliding on the bar. Most of the NOS grips I have had, the adhesive has gone far to hard with age. I usually use "Araldite" which is a 2 part epoxy glue. But once glued, I doubt you'd ever remove them. I have heard that others use bathroom silicon....but I don't know if it works ok.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The advantage of the original "Bitumous" glue is that petrol can also be used to remove a grip.

Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

I used the clear silcone on both of the bikes that have webbing grips fitted...No problems really...though I did recoat one grip after about 4 years as it would move slightly..but never anywhere near coming off in my hand!!...Ian

I never thought of silicone, I might give that a try. The epoxy didn't stick to the metal at all. You look inside the grip and it looks like the inside of a shotgun barrel, hard plastified glue to the shape of the bar, slides on and off as slick as ice.

I had some good results using Shellac.

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

I've been okay with water proof wood glue wrapping the webbing fabric round twice so it sticks to itself.

insulating tape seems to do the the trick on the clutch side but glue on the throttle side dont know what it was glued when i brought it but what ever it is good for handle bar end stop would a engine core plug work they come in all sizes

email (option): roger.beck@node.com

Nieuwe pagina 1