Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Desert paint colour

Decided to strip the bike completely through the winter months ready for our blistering summer next year! I want to paint in the existing desert colours so has anyone found a good paint colour that would be appropriate for my 42 M20?
Paint code would be a great help.
Thanks
Pete

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

Re: Desert paint colour

I used German Dunkelgelb (Dark Yellow) Matt from Jeeparts UK..it's a lot easier on the eye than the British desert colours...and no one ever mentioned it ...Very easy to spray and a consistent finish. The only problem was that being absolutely matt it could do with a gloss undercoat to protect the metal... ...Ian

i havent got a paint number but if you have a local paint supplier and if he can match it i can send you a paint sample of the sand colour that my bike is painted i dont think it is and original colour

email (option): roger.beck@node.com

if you go about 21 lines down on vistors bike you will see my bike with a 6 armoured div mailed fist on the tank as i said i can send you a paint sample if you want roger

email (option): roger.beck@node.com

Hi Roger, as Ian said, the only problem with a total matt paint finish is that it does absorb moisture alot more. I have mine in Maltese (although that is neither here or there) but I used 2 pack which is a bit more fiddly than straight out of the tin as you have to mix activator with it plus the thinners plus I used a matting agency to take the top off it to leave like an eggshell finish which does repel the moisture more. But you need to make a note of the ratios so you get the panels/bits all the same when you paint them when you mix up. I know they do eggshell finish in the green but if you want an exact match then you need to go to a paint refinishers/supplier IanPhotobucket

email (option): ianhince@tiscali.co.uk

I used the same paint as Ian recommended for my desert 3HW. It looks a similar colour to the other Ian's Maltese bike.
I found the British colour that was offered was a bit too, Gay Canary Yellow! Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks all, it does appear that the original paint on the bike is 'yellow' compared to Ron and Ian's bikes. Roger, thanks for your offer of a sample but I have yet to start blasting so can take a clean piece for the paint shop to colour code.
Pete

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

Hi Ron, just had to say, that 3HW looks stunning !!!! Ian.

Thanks for the compliment Ian. One day I might pluck up the corrage to go for a full Maltese Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I have to say Ron, I nearly bottled it when it came to painting the wall on it, the wife chinagraph penciled it first but then I thought oh sh***** I only get one go at this

Nieuwe pagina 1