Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
c number

i have just been directed to this wonderfull site as i am building a wm20,just read the c number details as i have frame number wm20 30248 dated with the vintage club as 1940,it appeared to have been dispatched to chilwell in 1940[according to bfmc book], c4347020 seems to be the number for my bike working from the chart?does it work out as straightforward as that?thanks.

Re: c number

Hi Arthur..and welcome to the WD forum...Yes, it's as you say...You just work forward from the first frame and C Number of the contract to your own number...Ian

Hi Arthur,

I also calculated your C number but found C4346840 as tank number. Your frame number is in the military key cards we have and this is also the tank number given in the Key cards so I guess it must be the one.

Here a photo of a bike with a C number close to yours, this is what your bike also looked like when new.

Maybe Rob Miller can take a look in the key cards for you to see what is written with your frame number. Not to easy to read for a Dutch guy.

Henk

Photobucket

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

thanks for the prompt reply,and very helpful information,going to check my maths to see where i went wrong!

my maths is disgusting,rechecked and get the same as you,thanks for the picture,what are the key cardfs?arthur

Key Cards were the system used by the Army to log vehicle movement and ultimately, disposal. After this system was discontinued the key cards were reatained and some of them eventually passed into private hands.
I believe there are about 16,000 M20s in the surviving cards...no doubt that statement will be corrected if I am wrong...The cards show limited but useful information....Ian

Welcome to the forum Arthur.

The post war key card says:-

WM20 30248
Postwar registration number, 75 ZC 85
Serial, C 4346840
Contract, S7287 (this is wrong, it might mean your bike was fitted with a rear mudguard section bearing a later contract plate or just a clerical error??)
Last issued prior to release, 923rd Coy, Royal Army Service Corps, Territorial Army.
Sold off from storage at Bowhouse on 16/8/62.

You can get a copy of the card from Lex.

Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Re: c number and details

thanks for key card update[and rob as well],as you can tell i am new to this,especially the speed of replies and help!bad news is Henk who replied first about c numbers kindly sent me a picture of a bike with a c number near mine,it looks to have an 8inch headlamp,i seem to have lucas 6 inch .i can see how you get drawn in trying to rebuild to original,thanks again arthur.

8" head light are harder to find than hens teeth even harder

email (option): roger.beck@node.com

Hi all,

8 inch headlamps are not that difficult, keep finding them, so it's not impossible.

Anyway, drop me a line for a scan of the original Key Card.

Cheers,

Lex Schmidt

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Alex
Hi all,

8 inch headlamps are not that difficult, keep finding them, so it's not impossible. Lex Schmidt

Just find a jumble where Lex hasn't got in before opening time...easy !

Rik
Alex
Hi all,

8 inch headlamps are not that difficult, keep finding them, so it's not impossible. Lex Schmidt

Just find a jumble where Lex hasn't got in before opening time...easy !

Aah Rik, there's a jumble every weekend in the UK, and I only go to about 4 of them a year!! so lots to be found, just be there early!

Happy hunting,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

hi arthur,i told you the replies would be fast and furious,you will be hooked now,post a picture of your bike for further disection ,input and criticism,this is where you get the answers
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1