WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oil pipes

Senior moment: they are mounted with the flexible part at the tank, aren't they

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Re: Oil pipes

hi hans ,yes thats right,come to think about it,i've not seen those joining pieces with the aluminium ferrules for ages,i'll have to keep my eyes open cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

I could do with a pair if you find some!!

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

I had some NOS ones from Russell Motors...they had a ferrule on one end and a screw up pipe clip on the other...Ian

Early bikes had all rubber oil tubes, not sure in what year that changed.

Henk

Photobucket

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Would the change from all rubber have been part of the 1942 rubber economies ?

Norton initially used copper fuel and oil lines but these were changed to rubber according to DME Circular B.41 (24/2/1941), presumably due to problems with fracturing.

The fuel lines were simply two rubber pipes with a double banjo on the float chamber.

However, in February 1943 they changed to a copper joining pipe under the tank and blanked off one side of the banjo in order to save half the rubber piping.

Although the DME circulars show no specific mention of the oil lines, a similar time line could be expected.

That could indeed be the moment they changed that. It's often hard or impossible to see on photos if they are made of rubber or copper. One more detail to take a closer look at. There was an other item that needed investigation but I can't remember what it was, do you Rik?

Henk

Hi Henk..Looking at the dotted outline of the primary chaincase plug it shows a slotted one similar to the one discussed the other day...Ian

I've completely forgotten Henk, but there are some quite thin looking parts on that bike.

The drawing must be quite early as the magdyno end plate is the 'scalloped' type - Pre 1939 ?

NiFe battery as well....Ian

It does have the big steel washers for the footrest rubbers. Here the complete drawing.

Henk

BSA C6126

Nieuwe pagina 1