Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mag mounting platform

Has any-one had any success welding up the section of the crankcases where the magdyno sits.
Seems to be an important consideration when looking to buy a set of cases.
They all seem to have metal worn away, making the potential alignment and ridgidity of the unit problematic.
If the grooves could be filled with a bead of TIG weld (or whatever is best,I'm not a welder)
and then scraped or filed flat.
Likewise, there is sometimes a corresponding amount of wear in the base of some Mag bodies as well.
I have in the past used a "Devcon" metal filler paste with fairly good results, but I often wonder if and when the paste fill will fail, even though it does dry very hard, and seems to expand and contract uniformly with the heat of the cases.
What is the advise from some of the high mileage M20, B31 riders???
Thanks Keith

email (option): keithatkinson@hotmail.com

Re: Mag mounting platform

A friend of mine had the surface machined and aluminium plates glued in place and that worked great.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Yes Henk, I think that would work.
Glueing two peices of flat metal together, does provide a very strong bond.
Making a jig to hold the cases straight and solid in a mill would more than likely be the biggest part of the job.
Best to tackle the job, at the early stages of an engine rebuild.
Its a good alternative I didn't think of though.
Keith

Yes Henk, I think that would work.
Glueing two peices of flat metal together, does provide a very strong bond.
Making a jig to hold the cases straight and solid in a mill would more than likely be the biggest part of the job.
Best to tackle the job, at the early stages of an engine rebuild.
Its a good alternative I didn't think of though.
Keith

I have to deal with this problem regularly during engine overhauls. I generally machine the mounting platform to remove the wear.It is not always necessary to remove ALL the wear, as long as you have a good mounting 'seat' for the mag..I always remove the equivalent of a sheet metal material gauge, then it is an easy job to make a spacer shim of the right thickness from aluminium. They can be welded but the aluminium quality is variable and you have the additional problem of cleaning it up afterwards and potential distortion etc. So I only get that done in the case of severe wear.
There is insufficient material on the mag bases to machine more than a minimal amount off without breaking into the drive end gear housing and they are also usually worn more at one end than the other...I use circular shims around each of the location pegs in the base of the thicknesses required and glue them in place with a little clear silicone.

what about maching the slots out to a larger size not depth which would get rid of the wear and put some machined insert in at the right dimensions for the mag pegs to fit in its correct location

Hi Roger..Wear in the slots is one issue, but the surface the mag sits on wears as well..Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1