Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pre 1960 MOT exemption

I hope this is passed for us in UK. Ron

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/General-news/2011/November/nov0311-classic-bikes-to-be-exempt-from-mot/

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Pre 1960 MOT exemption

Bloomin' heck, someone in authority who seems to be practical and sensible. If only that could happen down in this part of the world.

email (option): braunz@paradise.net.nz

Common practice in Holland

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Good, that will save loads of time, and will stop the number plate guys buying bikes to sell the numbers on, then sell the bike, as you cant transfer a no without a currant MOT,andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

It sounds like good news..but I have learnt to be cynical over the years..There is also talk in Europe of random road side testing..That would be a lot more inconvenient and intrusive if it came to pass.
Some over zealous official will always find something wrong with your bike..and it could happen at any time of the year...
So don't book me in for the party yet...and I guess there would be some sort of initial inspection after a vehicle is restored.. ...Ian

So far in the UK, we only have MOT exemption for a certain few types of vehicle. Like mobile cranes, track-laying, some agricultural and showman's vehicles. As well as "Historic Vehicles" (pre 1962 I think) that are over 3500 kgs laden weight (so mostly historic commercial vehicles). Like Ian, I'm not whooping for joy yet. But it could be a natural progression...... as long as they don't make hard to swallow proviso's! Ron

Hi Ron..Also exemptions for any vehicle that you live in...That probably originates from the showmans side but also explains all those wrecked out horse transporters and buses the Travellers use ...Ian

sounds good but as Ian says wait and see about inspections at the road side they cant keep up with normal cars and vans inspections at the road side the police/vosa will have to enploy more people to cover this and i cant see them pulling in a bike that look as new it could cause a problem with people riding about on wrecks with this new insurance sorn thing i bet there at least 3 car up my road alone that are not insured/taxed that nobody is worried about

Re: Pre 1960 MOT exemption; What a daft idea

I'm in complete disagreement with these proposals, if true. I think the MOT test is a vital check and should be retained. More than once, I've had an MOT inspector spot something I've missed. Fact is, we're all fallible. Worse still, the world is full of rogues who will lash-up a bike and sell it on to someone who simply doesn't have the experience and sensitivity to spot a problem.

I'm reminded of the story of the woman who repeatedly took her car back to her local garage complaining of a constant thumping noise. The problem was eventually traced to her driving habits which involved trundling down the road over cats eyes—the point being that people don't always make the connection between mechanical noises and other issues (even though in this instance, there was no fault with the car). When I was a young man, I drove a diesel Transit from Birmingham to London with the wheel nuts on the wrong way around wrecking the hub. I simply didn't understand that there was a reason for the locating taper on the wheelnuts (and I'm not always much smarter today). The wheel of that Transit was grinding away at the hub for 115 miles.

These new proposals are a small "triumph" for owners, but potentially a time bomb. Few accidents are actually caused by poor maintenance and failure of parts. But it does happen, and with all the cheap and nasty aftermarket components on the www, the MOT should stay.

The government is just desperate to save money. It would be better if it simply raised the MOT fee. I know this viewpoint won't get much sympathy from many bikers, but as I said, we're all fallible.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine,com

Danny, do you think that these proposals have come about due to lobbying from owners ? I haven't been aware of any.

I'd suspect
1) The cherished numbers industry who want to be able to take the numbers off of rusty Morris Minors that haven't turned a wheel in twenty years and don't want to have to MOT them first.

2) MOT testing stations who are struggling to apply the complex modern regulations and more to the point, input the details to the computer.

I can imagine that old vehicles are nothing but a bloody nuisance to much of the trade.

Theres a lot of truth in the points you made Danny..specially about you not being smarter today ...Seriously though, Mot (and paying road tax) go someway towards verifying your right to use the road in an unrestricted way as others do. My greatest fear is any proposal that restricts use of old vehicles....and the more marginalised you are as a road user the easier it gets for the Government.
I also agree an annual check to make sure the basics of the vehicle are sound and safe for use is a good idea...and that was why the MOT was introduced in the first place.
It is certainly the case that an increasing number of people have very little mechanical apptitude, now that the sort of jobs that taught them that have largely gone. Most things we own are the product of a throwaway society that doesn't even bother to try and repair anything....so where are all these competent vehicle owners supposed to come from?
The MOT in its current form does what it is supposed to and isn't too much trouble...I'd be happy to retain it if I had even the slightest suspicion there would be repercussions from a change...and of course I do ....Ian

And yet Danny. The government has allowed an MOT exemption on "Historic Commercial vehicles". Where someone can drive a 70 year old 6 wheeled GMC for instance, that hasn't been checked in years and is far more lightly to create a more serious accident than a car or motorcycle. The reason for making them exempt I suspect has nothing to do with making live easier for the owners, but simply that the HGV testing centres couldn't cope.
Personally, part of my hobby is maintaining my vehicles and it would certainly make my life easier if I didn't have to fork out £30-£50 just to do a few miles each year. Ron

It should also be remembered that although MOT exempt your vehicle still has to comply with all 'Construction and Use' regulations...and those are the regulations that will apply if roadside checks were introduced...are you familiar with them all?
I don't want to be a 'scaremonger' but some Police forces have already had 'stop and check' days..for motorcycles only. The official line is that they were training Traffic Officers on what to check when they stop a vehicle...Seems to me they could do that training in a Police workshop...Ian

In answer to Rik's point, I have no idea where these proposals have come from, but there's usually a government accountant at the bottom of these things. In fact, the bike trade makes a fair amount of money from MOT checks, not least that it gives them the opportunity to upsell goods to customers, such as: "Maybe you'd like to test ride a modern bike, Sir, while we scrap the rust off this old heap ...".

The question of trying to apply modern regulations to old vehicles is worth a second look, except that the government could just as easily raise the MOT fees (to allow for extra testing time) or provide guidelines.

In answer to Ron's point, yes, I'm aware of all kinds of vehicles being exempt, but I'm not aware of too many 100+ mph vehicles being exempt - and many pre-1960s bikes are capable of these speeds (not that many owners try it). Also, it's a question of numbers. We're talking about not a few hundred vehicles, or even a few thousand, but tens of thousands. And apparently not just bikes, but cars too. There are tens of thousands of pre-1960s vehicles capable of the national speed limit and beyond.

I do know that the government rarely, if ever, acts without looking at the stats. Many years ago, I interviewed Peter Bottomley MP (then at the Department of Transport) and his response when you put an argument to him was "what are the numbers?". So it might be that that the accident risk really is viewed as very small.

In answer to Ian's point, I should remind him that he's got a year or two on me, so is probably down to his last few brain cells too , but I am a little concerned about the marginalisation argument. Except that this sounds a little convulted for the British government (of any party). Generally, the government has been happy to indulge our fascination for old crocks. But I am paranoid enough to wonder if this isn't a precursor to something else.

I remember wondering why supermarkets began asking customers if they wanted cashback with their shopping. It seems that they do so because cash handling costs them money (I'm talking about transporting money by security guards), and they'd rather their customers took the cash home - my point being that the answer might lie in a completely unexpected direction.

I think the current MOT test is a small price to pay for the extra security of knowing that the most basic components of your vehicle are up to a certain standard - except that for guys like Ron, it's probably quite a large price to pay , but that's what happens when you own more vehicles than you can count

If I had to guess the single most likely reason for these proposals, I'd say it's cost. The government needs to save money, maybe by sacking staff and making computers redundant. They're already talking about cutting a lot of health and safety rules. Here's a way to do exactly that, and make themselves popular with more people than they upset.

On an older subject Danny...Any word on the Irish and French Dayglo issue?...Ian

Haven't heard anything else of consequence regarding the Dayglo thing - which is a bigger concern if it ever comes this way.

On the MOT exemption issue, I've just been talking to someone who argues that have no MOT will throw the onus for vehicle roadworthiness back on the owner, which is a point I agree with. And is a good thing. If you take away the "safety net", people are more likely to think twice. And it might be that there simply isn't enough vehicle usage for old crocks to worry about; the government can abolish the MOT for pre-1960s vehicles and get a lot of votes.

I'm not concerned about the 90% of owners who are reasonably sensible. I'm concerned about the 10% who haven't enough wit to know when something is dangerous - and even then, it's not really bikes that worry me. It's the cars.

But it's a proposal so far, so we'll have to see where it leads. If they scrap the MOT for old bikes, I'm taking my M20 to Ian or Ron each year to make sure I've put the nuts back on properly.

What makes you think I know what I'm talking about?.. ..Pass me that spanner would you?... ...Ian

What's a hammer?

It's one of those American military vehicles isn't it?...Ian

Ian, I'm obviously not reading your posts properly. In future, ignore anything I say.

A short while ago somebody posted a link to a euro questionnaire about a euro wide MOT system. I wonder if this is a start towards that aim. If a TUV style testing system was introduced in Britain then it would be near impossible to run a older motorcycle without using aftermarket/replica parts. Our motley collection of machines would not fit into any kind of modernized MOT system, therefore it would be easier to simply exclude them.

As for mileages, some guys (and gals) do small mileages per annum and some do more than modern bikers on faster machines.

Financially, I would welcome the idea of saving the cost of an annual test which sometimes is rather cursory, due to the fact there is very little they CAN test. No emissions test, no indicators, no mirrors and brakes like a sponge compared to modern twin leading discs. Providing your lights and horn works, your steering and suspension (where applicable) is OK, no fuel or serious oil leaks then only a fractured frame would fail it.

I get paranoid about this government, but who knows, this one has me stumped.

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

sometime ago when this TUV test was first brandish about there was a suggestion of going to 2 yearly MOTs maybe this would be a compromise to dropping it altogther as said there may be trying to bring in use regulation via the back door looks like i might buy a motorcycle trailer before they are all sold out danny said about putting the onus onto the owner that realy the case now it state in the reulations that the MOT is no proof of road worthiness you could ride out of an MOT station and get nicked for a faulty machine which the policeman can decide what he want and when you go to court unless you get it in court and proove it was the same when you were stopped you dont have a chance

We don't have vehicle inspections over here in the States, except for spotty commercial things.

I believe the thinking is we can clean out the gene pool that way.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

someone said that if they didnt get their bike mot/tuv that it had restricted use if you got it tested would this unrestrict the use

I suspect the MOT exemption would be for vehicles registered before 1960. People with Ex WD bikes made in the 1940's but not registered until after 1960 would still need to have their bikes MOT tested.

I don't think so Jeff. Date of first registration doesn't always coincide with date of manufacture.

Ron

Ron Pier
I don't think so Jeff. Date of first registration doesn't always coincide with date of manufacture.

Ron

That is my point Ron. The need for an MOT is determined by the date that the vehicle was first registered. My M20 was made around the end of 1944 or early 1945, but the date of it's first registration is June 1967.

Sorry Jeff, I don't agree. A 1944 vehicle is a 1944 vehicle whenever it was registered.
A friend of mine thought he'd missed the free tax cut off date for his VW camper because it was registered 1963. But as it was actually built in 1962 he got the free tax.
Something to clarify with DVLA though. Ron

They've actually done quite a lot of work already. It seems to stem from a desire not to be accused of imposing more than Europe requires although to be honest, the UK probably led the way with vehicle testing originally.

It seems as well that Europe doesn't require motorcycles to be tested at all so there will be a future study that may suggest discontinuing all MOTs for motorcycles.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/dft-2011-27

The consultation document is heavy going in that it is so repetitive but if you plough through the pdf, there are interesting statistics regarding numbers of historic motorcycles etc and how often they appear in accident statistics.

Basically, riding a pre-1945 motorcycle seems to be safer than staying in bed !

I think that's right Rik! Very difficult to get someone pregnant whilst riding your bike Ron

Unfortunately the date of first registration is taken seriously here in Germany and when the bike was made is irrelevant. It is also very difficult to correct any mistakes in documents such as in mine where the registration document states 1964 as first registration for a bike built in 1954, obviously a mistake in reading a 6 for a 5. No amount of arguing will convince the authorities that a bike (B31) in the 50s was unlikely to remain in the showroom for 10 years! Consequently they expect me to have indicators on the bike, as post 1962 manufacture.
This also leads to situations where people have bought bikes from the 60 and 70s that were never out of the crate and now have no chance of ever being able to use them on the road as they would have to conform to all the regulations regarding a "new" bike registered now (including emmision control etc!).
This is why there is a thriving trade in old frames with logbooks that then become donors for more modern engines.

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Why not bring it to England, use the website for an age related plate, then re-export it back to Germany? Better still leave it in the garage and do the same.

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

Well I was going to suggest the same thing as Ewok. But leaving it in the garage is not an option. You will require an MOT, insurance and a DVLA inspection. It's all fairly straightforward.....but the bike will have to appear!!
If someone were to deliver me a bike in an MOT condition, I'd be happy to perform the task for a reasonable drink. Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1