Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Donald Fife Remembrance day

Hi Guys, I will be in Canada on November 11th, remembrance day. I plan to attend remembrance day ceremonies in Parrsboro Nova-Scotia. Every year Russell, Don's brother, lays a wreath at the cenotaph for his fallen brother. Jim Custeau has had a very nice photo album made for the family. All the photos we got from the ceremony at Juno Beach, Fresney-Le-Puceux and our trip to visit the Fife's are all there in a professional format. I plan to present it to them at the ceremony. I am also considering purchasing a wreath and laying it on our behalf. The question is what do I title the ribon? WD motorcycle Forum? In any case, I had planned on purchassing the wreath, cost is minimal, 20.00 or 30.00$ I would say. But then I figure if I am to lay it our name, some of you might want to contribute as a symbolic gesture. Maybe a dollar a piece or something like that. It is entirely up to you guys, if you are interested, send me a personal email. AGAIN, I am planning to purchase it myself regardless of donations, I am not soliciting, merely giving whoever wishes to donate the opportunity to do so. I will certainly take photo's, I have been wanting to see the Parrsboro cenotaph for some time now, Don's name is the last one on it for WWII, he really was one of the last Canadians to be KIA in WWII. cormiersam@hotmail.com

Re: Donald Fife Remembrance day

Very nice gesture Sam! Salut mon bon ami!

samuel cormier
...The question is what do I title the ribon? WD motorcycle Forum?

I think Ian will come up with an appropriate text
And count me in for a contribution, PayPal?
Hans

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Count me in for a contribution too.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

I just sent some money
Dave

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

I always attend the local Remembrance Day ceremony, perhaps I could alter my plans and convince the family to attend Parrsboro, it's about an hour and a half drive. Would be nice to meet you, and the Fife family.
Today our WW2 group is doing a parade and Remebbrance Day display in Dartmouth, I'll take some pics.
Vincent

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Hi Sam..I've sent you some money...let me know if you need more...as far as the dedication goes..how about..'In gratitude and remembrance from the WD motorcycle group'...Ian

thank you donation sent roger

Ian Wright
Hi Sam..I've sent you some money...let me know if you need more...as far as the dedication goes..how about..'In gratitude and remembrance from the WD motorcycle group'...Ian

I said so, Ian will come up with the perfect text

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

what about from the WD motorcycle brothers

Me too! Contribution sent. By paypal to your email address. Is that OK. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Sam. Donation sent to the email address listed.

All the best, Lee.

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Samuel,
Donation sent!
Regards,
Kostas

email (option): ferrarakias@hotmail.com

OK guys, Thanks very much. I will order a wreath tomorrow to be made in Saint-John. I will be certain to mention to them that the wreath was purchased with donations from WD motorcycle owners from around the globe. As it was with the plaque for Juno Beach.

Hi Samuel,
I'll match 15% of contributions to cover the taxes. I expect you'll pick it up on your way through from the US if you're driving, I wish I could attend but I have 3 small children who won't tolerate the 2 hour drive either way. Our WW2 group plans to fire a volley at the Remembrance Day ceremony at Hammonds Plains on Friday. It's a week long celebration of Veterans.
http://tacww2lha.weebly.com/photos.html
Vincent

All done, the wreath is ordered and contrary to what I thought, they have to be bought directly from the Royal Canadian Legion. Our inscription is put onto a tag and the wreath is waiting at the Legion in Parrsboro. Our name will be called and a veteran or cadet will accompany me up to the cenotaph and lay the wreath. A very structured affair. The wreath is 40.00$ and donations have covered most of it. I will take care of the rest. I'll take a lot of photo's. Thanks for your support
Best regards

Hi Guys, Just got back from a Loooonnnng ride to Canada. Visited the small town of Parrsboro where we were met by the Fife's and toured around town, showing us the cenotaph which was erected for the Great War but then subsequently became the cenotaph for all wars. Sgt Fife was killed so late in the war that his name wasn't even placed on the cenotaph plaque. It was added after the war to the bottom, see the photo's
We then went to the Legion church service and remembrance ceremony which started at 11:00AM. A solemn ceremony followed by the laying of the wreaths. His is somewhere in the middle of the stack you see in the photo's, there was quite a pile of them there. Got to meet two of the younger family members, both of whom are in the military today, two great Nephews I beleive, one just returned from Afghanistan. The other stationed at Pettawawa Ontario in an armored unit. And on the way home, in the middle of the canadian wilderness on a desolate stretch or road, I noticed a roadsign I just had to stop and photograph.
A great success and a big thank you to you all from the family, they were very moved.
View photos at
http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc386/cormiersam.Parrsboro/

Sorry guys, wrong URL for the photo's, You can access them at:
http://photobucket.com/Parrsboroalbum

Glad to hear you made it back Ok, thanks for posting. We were rained out yesterday too and had to do out honour guard inside, 500 people in a hall with maximum capacity of 300! No volley of blank shots from our 303's though.
Norton, New Brunswick- you must have passed South Albion street as you went throught Amherst, NS too, lots of English names around here.
Here we were last week Saturday in nicer (though much colder weather) , I have my DR helmet but unfortunately not the breeches, 3-buckle boots or M20
Lest We Forget
Photobucket

Photobucket

thank you samuel

email (option): roger.beck@node.com

Well he certainly sticks out on the memorial, good show..I wonder what he'd say about complete strangers like us thinking about him and going to these efforts. I didnt put in to this one but I think I did for something before, good effort Gents..

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1