Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bent frame?

From the beginning I have been struggling with my rear frame, a post-war new one with side car points near the rear axle; I know that they are easily bent, and I think that the problems encountered when mounting the pannier carrier frame could be attributed to this.
Using a 1 m piece of angle iron on the upper front frame tube I established a centre line on a piece of paper under the rear frame.
Then I measured the distance between the lugs (4.0" plus 3 13/32", resp 101,6 and 86,5 mm)
The total: 188,1 mm (too lazy to convert to Imperial ) is correct, but I measured approx 110 and 78mm; is this too much of a difference?

M20 frame

I took a picture of the rear frame; I have the impression that the right hand tube is is too much bent, and the left hand one not enough

Rear  frame view

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Re: Bent frame?

Looks like a friday afternoon one to me, Meybee thats why it was a NOS item,Did the fitters work that one out ? and put it back in the stores,have a good weekend folks, andrew.h

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

The rear frame of an M20 is supposed to look just about like that.

Just put your rear wheel back in the frame preferably without the tyre and see if the centre of the rim is in line with both front frame down tubes.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Ran into a problem on the front frame, with trying to insert that spacer on the right side towards the front of the G/Box plates. Still have not sorted it out and often stare at it wondering if it has fixed itself. Thought I would be smart and put an insert that fits, but ended up messing up the paint job as the motor will not slide in. Duh!Photobucket

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Henk WM20 2415

Just put your rear wheel back in the frame preferably without the tyre and see if the centre of the rim is in line with both front frame down tubes.

Henk

Yes, did this too, and that 1 cm difference is confirmed. I suppose this is out of the normal applicable tolerance!

Hi Hans and Henri,

Please check your email for a gage drawing I sent you to set that rear frame. Personally, I think it's wizard! But, that's me. LOL!!

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Clever
Now I have to dig in and find a suitable piece of mild steel...
Thanks,
Hans

Hi Hans
I have a 9mm offset in wheel alignment and after measuring up, I concluded (rightly or wrongly) that the rim was incorrectly spoked rather than a bent frame. No one was able to confirm this though. See my message dated 30 August - Real Wheel Rim Offset.
Regards
Peter

email (option): pvlietstra@gmail.com

Good comment Peter.

I finally found information on that offset, and will post after I get it into form.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Hi Henri. Is it possible that you have 37/38 rear frame ment for old narrower engine. Later frame had that curved part on lower tube made from cast steel. You have bent tube there like it was on HM and JM models.

Hi Kalle, that would meke more sense as it seems really impossible to bend it without some distortion. Glad I did not so far.

Will pull it off and see about the part number again.

Thanks a bunch.

Wonder if it would fit the JM21 that I am about to install.

Hi Henri..if you have the early narrow frame none of the 10 bolt cylinder head engines will fit as they have wider crankcases...you will need an 8 bolt engine..or a later frame...or you can fit an OHV engine...Ian

That JM21 engine seems quite different from the WM motors that I have. I can only guess at this time, because it is being shipped. Thanks Ian. I have several spare rear section that I can replace this one with. I just did not notice the difference while cleaning it up. Don't have the photos of the barrel and head but have this, Leon can critique.PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Hi Henri..That's the early engine..I hope you have the whole bike..they are pretty hard to find parts for..Ian

Hi Ian,

Got the cylinder, head, cams...have to check on the flywheels, Kalle was right on that rear section, the bottom front of the rear frame has the cast iron lugs and the upper crossbar is more substantial, definitely not meant for the WM front frame section. Amazing what happens when brains are put together. Thanks to Leon, I have the fuel tank, g/box missing the oil tank, hand control. Have the front frame also. Looking for correct fork....Guess I am off topic now that I find that my rear section frame is not Bent!

Would have taken some photos, but misplaced my camera.

Nieuwe pagina 1