Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Battledress colours

Does anyone know if battledress colours varied between 37, 40 & 49 pattern?
On my quest to find budget battledress I've got hold of a 49 jacket (blouse?) but it seems that trousers are that much harder to find.
So, I'm wondering, if I manage to find somehting with a 34 waist, does it have to be the same 49 pattern or can I mix and match where my limited budget allows?

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: Battledress colours

That's exactly what most of us would have to do these days Lee. Especially the larger sizes. You'll be lucky to find a matched uniform unless you bought repro.
Almost a must for a motorcyclist is a leather jerkin. As Ian said before by the time you cover up a big chunk of battle dress with a jerkin and gaiters etc. No one would even notice. Also don't forget that a soldier would probably wear out two pairs of trousers to one blouse. So by the time you take fading and dye batches into account, he would probably have been miss matched as well. Ron.

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Lee..I found my 39/40 pattern battledress jackets matched the 49 pattern trousers very well colourwise..I think the colour was basically the same, though you might find slight (not very noticeable) batch variations and there is the possibility of fading over the last 60 odd years as mentioned by Ron..I have a nice condition pair of 49 pattern trousers that might do the job..they need some repair around the waistband area but could easily be done and they are very good apart from that...size 13. Mail me if they are of interest.. .Ian

Lee/Jeff??, have a reworked '49 pattern trousers somewhere, big size, can take pictures if interested, 75 euro's

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Lee... ...I don't know how Jeff got involved ..Anyway I've edited Jeff out of the discussion now...Ian

Ian Wright
Lee... ...I don't know how Jeff got involved ..Anyway I've edited Jeff out of the discussion now...Ian

Ian, why do that?, he might have been interested too

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Hi Lex

Thanks for the offer but sadly, my battledress budget is pathetically small. I 'spose I could always ask Father Christmas if he could get them for me.......

its an old argument, but colours had a variation between batches and also between manufacturers, i have seen original bd in various dates and there is a bit of variation on the general theme of approved green, the 49 bd is within a good match for wartime bd, i once sewed the arms from a 49 jacket onto a 40 jacket which someone had mysteriously cut the arms off of and you couldnt see the difference in colour.
slightly darker but after a wash good enough are the post war greek ones which you can still find in reasonable sizes.

The blouse arrived yesterday and after trying it on I wondered how a war was fought with the clothing being so itchy?!
Now, I almost feel as though I shouldn't be asking this question, but what's the best way to wash BD - machine, dry cleaning? I know they are designed for the rigors of war but I can't afford to have the waist shrink at all!

Hi Lee...I get mine dry cleaned...also I generally put something on under the trousers to make them comfortable.. ...no smartarse comments please!...Ian

Dry clean only as, if washed ,it will only fit a six yr old afterwards, andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

good god man they were made itchy for a reason to keep you alert at all times you couldnt sleep as you would be scratching all night

Andrew is right..being a woolen material they need very careful handling to avoid shrinkage..I guess if you are ultra keen you could give them a handwash in warm water .I'm told they used to shave the insides or scorch them with a candle to remove the itchy bits..Ian

hand wash what ian mine shrunk years ago

I think Ian's suggestion of wearing something underneath to act as a barrier against the brillo pad material is a good one, so with something lightweight in mind I guess I'll borrow something from the wife.
Stockings certainly won't cover enough, especially if teamed-up with fish-nets, plus that combo could affect my concentration.......
I could be riding onto Arrowmanche beach in '14 wearing a pair of tights under the BD trousers. Here's hoping I don't have a prang as I wouldn't want my secret discovered in a French hospital.

Hi Lee..You could always try a wetsuit.. ...but don't forget the Talc...or a Spiderman suit.. I wear pyjama bottoms so I guess if I have an accident they'll just think I got up in a hurry..Though they might wonder what the pink Teddy Bears are about... ...Ian

slogan (ladies tights make you a safe rider)you ride very carefuly as you say you do not want to end up in hospital wearing them

turn inside out and give a good going over with a hot iron, a sprinkling of water also gets good creases, as for protection underneath trousers, wooly underpants, once you have got them on you wont notice anything else

Silk long Johns, coolish in summer warm in winter,stops the tickle if you are faint hearted,as cadets, We used to shave the insides of the BD, about two inches over front and rear crease lines, then soap them using a hard soap, and iron with a hot iron, outside of course with a damp tea towel nicked from the kitchens same with the two creases across back of BD jacket,and the sleeves,of course, hey ho lovly times, where would kids today get to fire brens, 303 rifles, chuck real grenades down the ranges, be given whole boxes of thunder flashes,and have more food than you could eat,and freeze at night on winter camps,Why ? because nat service had just finished and the army was trying to get us to join up for three years square bashing, Did I? thats another tale,SORRY BIT OFF TOPIC,andrew,h

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

I was in the Air Cadets when they still had battledress,ammo boots, greatcoats and blancoed webbing. (no issue Brylcreem though )..Didn't get to play with grenades and only occasional Thunderflashes but we did the shooting (I went to Bisley representing the cadets), but as a bonus we went flying (Chipmonk Trainers) and gliding...Happy days and I spent many enjoyable hours looking after all my kit.. we all wanted our squadron to be the best one in Plymouth.
I was talking to a cadet trainer at Buckfastliegh 40s weekend ...they couldn't camp near a small stream because a risk assessment hadn't been done, to get their hands on an (unloaded) rifle they had to submit a written request for 'temporary issue' and when I suggested the squadron might not be as well turned out as it could be the reply was..'Well if you're too hard on them they won't come anymore'...Something tells me the world has changed for the worse ...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1