Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New headstock bearings

Hi Ian,
Any news about the fitting instructions for the improved headstock bearings

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Re: New headstock bearings

Hi Hans..I fitted one of these bearing sets to my WB30 without any problems but I did get some feedback that indicates there may be some minor issues when they are fitted to the M20. As my bike is still in one piece and I don't plan to start rebuilding it until the spring I haven't had the opportunity yet to fit a set to an M20.
There are two potential problems you need to be aware of...
1) After the lower bearing is fitted to the frame and the bottom yoke is inserted through it there is a possibility that the outer race of the bearing will contact the bottom yoke forging before the yoke is fully 'home' In that event a small amount of material will need to be removed from either side of the yoke at the points of contact..this will then allow correct fitment of the yoke. You need to be aware of this but I don't know at present if it will occurr on every bike.
2)When the dust cover and top yoke are fitted over the steering stem you may need to fit a shim under the dust cover..This shim should be approx. the diameter of the inner bearing and I think need only be approx. .010" thick.However, this is dependent to a degree on how flat your dust cover is... This raises the dust cover slightly and will pevent the possibility of the cover contacting both the inner and outer races of the bearing at the same time.
One further point to note is that when the stem nut is fitted it needs only to be tightened hand tight before locking up the top yoke pinch bolt. That way no side loads are exerted on the bearings..
I would suggest with this information you go ahead and fit the bearings...I'd appreciate an e mail detailing your experiences/problems if any...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: New headstock bearings

Thanks Ian, I'll keep you informed

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Nieuwe pagina 1