Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clutch plates

Can anyone briefly describe the clutch layout, how many fibre plates, how many steel ones, and what order do the stack? Are replacement plates easy to find, and are they common to other models?
Before I pull the cover on my clutch I want to lnow what I can expect to find inside.
Thanks
Vince

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Re: Clutch plates

BSA M20 Clutch

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

And I always leave one steel and one friction plate out of my clutch. It makes for easier assembly and a much lighter clutch and never seems to slip. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

So you have a 7 plate Empire Star clutch in your M20. Do you leave the first two out? One out grip plate and a ferodo plate? I have never tried this, next time I have to work on the clutch I will.

Henk

Vincent,

The starting order is as follows: fabric disc, steel plate (tongues on the outside), fabric disc, steel plate (tongues with inside tongues), fabric disc etc. there are eight fabric ones, so you will end with one.

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Hi Henk..You leave the last two plates out...one fibre and one steel. Basically, it leaves more room within the clutch basket for the plates to seperate cleanly (fully). You may need to shorten the pushrod length slightly..though readjustment of the clutch settings may do it depending on the current length of the pushrod.
Vincent..I have sets of the steel plates in stock if you can't find them locally....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Especially my 1942 bike has a bastard of a clutch, especially when it's hot. I have been working on that clutch often in the past, next time I take two plates out. I am thinking of selling that bike so I have to get that clutch ok again. I don't use it to often anymore and like the early bikes a lot better. It has taken me everywhere, from the South of France all the way to Scotland.

Henk

1942 BSA WDM20

1 fibre and 1 metal plate left out selecting first gear when stationary is as smooth a silk no more nightmareish crunching with the full set in

What about the clutch conversion of Gerrit Bruggink. Maybe not cheap, but what a difference. More info at: THBracing in the Netherlands.
The motorcycle clutch solutions is just a side line, but you can approach Gerrit through his website:
www.thb-support.nl

email (option): rvanmeel@wanadoo.nl

Thanks to all who replied, I should be set now.
Found some new fibre plates on e-Bay and working up the courage to pull the clutch apart
Vince

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Don't just unscrew the big centre nut, the spring will make it fly through the room and damage the thread and if you are unlucky your skin. You have to use the same tool as when putting the nut on the thread.

Henk.

And, if you don't have it, you'll need the extractor to get the clutch sleeve off the mainshaft.
When using the extractor don't try to use it to pull the sleeve off without 'shocking' it..you will probably pull the thread off the extractor.
Screw it all the way into the sleeve, tighten the center bolt and then give the end of the bolt a sharp tap with a hammer..tighten the bolt a little more and repeat. By this method you will break the 'lock' of the sleeve taper to the taper on the mainshaft...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1