Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Plonker of the Month Award

I am extremely sorry for anyone who felt that they may have been in contention for this prestigious award but I've decided to award it this month to myself...

I had to nip out to the shops this morning and it seemed like a good excuse to disappear on the 16H before lunch.

The bike started well but began shortly to feel a little hesitant so I pulled it onto reserve which did help but I had the feeling that it has sucked some dirt into the carb or perhaps I had got caught out by the fuel not being as high on one side of the tunnel as the other.

Not to worry, a quick detour to a garage with a card payment system and I was on my way again.

...instant improvement - pulling cleanly and accelerating well....for about half a mile at which point it would no longer take full throttle and this became progressively worse...I pulled over and it died...I fiddled a bit and found that the only way it would respond to throttle was if the choke was used.

A visual inspection showed nothing obvious so full choke it was. I tried several times on the way home to ride without choke but the motor lost power.

At one point I looked over my shoulder and was a bit horrified to see a trail of white smoke pouring out behind me.

Anyone who knows how the Red Arrows create their white smoke trails will probably be getting a bit ahead of the story here.

Further investigations at home showed a greasy fuel which didn't smell right and an exhaust which smelled like a an old tractor.

The light suddenly dawned and luckily I had kept the payment receipt.

Yep, Plonker of the Month had filled the 16H up with diesel !!!

Of course, I was going to clean the carb out and re-solder the tap filter that had come loose anyway...just not today.

Re: Plonker of the Month Award

Bad luck Rik

But on the plus side your valve guides might not wear out so quick now

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

On an Opfor weekend with the Canadian forces a few years ago, we poured a gerry can of diesel into an m-38 jeep. Amazingly, the thing ran halfway decently, even more amazing was the magnitude of the smoke screen it made. Fixing the mess was another matter, fuel pump and carb all taken appart and cleaned, sadly, the owner swears it never ran as well as it did before the incident. So anyhow, you're not the first one Rik!

Must have been one of those weekends, Rik i think you still win but i tried hard...
1 - backed a bike out of the garage and into my car that i had parked in an odd spot earlier - putting a hefty scrape/dent in the car door (bike is undamaged though )
2 - having a nice beer to recover from my first effort, poured beer into glass, promptly dropped the whole glass on the carpet.

email (option): braunz@paradise.net.nz

hi,iain,what a waste of good ale cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Tragic it was, i had splashed out on something rather tasty, i would have appreciated it much more than the carpet did.

email (option): braunz@paradise.net.nz

ianB didnt you get down and suck the carpet can waste beer just mind you dont cut you lip on the broken glass

Rik

Further investigations at home showed a greasy fuel which didn't smell right and an exhaust which smelled like a an old tractor.

Ummm Rik... I thought a 16H WAS an old tractor

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

if the norton is an old tractor it should of had TVO in it not diesel

Nieuwe pagina 1