Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
N.O.S. or Rebuilt M20 engine as seen in Holland

Hi all,

Just seen this engine again after 20 years! a friend bought it somewhere west of London, all these years ago, while we were visiting there, and he just decided to sell it on a small Dutch jumble I visited today.

So thought I'd post some pictures, for all to enjoy, as you don't see this everyday anymore!
And maybe someone can comment on the numbers/markings on the box and engine???

Cheers,

Lex

ps, the engine sold quite quick!

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Re: N.O.S. or Rebuilt M20 engine as seen in Holland

there is an engine number on the crate but none on the engine also would it have been painted if reconditioned as it looks hand painted over other coats of paint and not sprayed i supposed you would strip it down to check it out recon or not

I can't help but wonder if this engine was in this crate when it left military service, like Roger says the Engine number on the crate doesn't seem to match and neither do the dates?

ECO = Eastern Command ?

PRESERVED = a partial or complete rebuild or just some sort of oil treatment?

Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

It looks very knocked about and the oily dirt looks like used engine dirt. I too might suspect that this was the 'take-out' that was replaced by the rebuilt unit.

It may or may not have been in that box, but the engine, by the look of it has new valves in it, no black stuff if you look into the ports, and when the tappet cover was removed it was also new in there.

Did not investigate any further!

But preserved means it's preserved against the elements, however they did it. and i think it was a brownish grease, as the barrel is still covered in it.

Maybe the new owner will chime in here? don't know who it is however.

Just remembered, the engine came from Slough, there were also N.O.S. gearboxes etc. loads of stuff, I only bought the Matchless stuff.

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

I thought I recently saw somewhere that EC something stood for replaement engine. Can't remember where I read that. And could be totally wrong on it.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

I bought a crated reconditioned engine like this about 6 years ago..unfortunately by the time the courier had finished with it the crate was disintegrating to the point that it wasn't saveable...Mine came in a very similar exterior finish but had been thoroughly rebuilt internally with a lot of new parts fitted, and a new barrel and head. It also had a Magdyno fitted..as did this one at some point judging by the unpainted areas on the cases..I don't think it is NOS...it says 'reconditioned' on the box and the crankcases etc. don't look particularly new...on the drive side crankcase for instance are signs of more than one coat of paint...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Anyone knows the meaning of the 66.63 number?, I have a crankcase stamped with the same number, is it the workshop number where the rebuilt has taken place ??

Thanks, Michiel

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

Following on from LV7 / BC, it would normally be the part number...Engine unit, complete would be my guess.

Hi Rik, of course, that sounds logic, lots of parts start with 66 but never thought about a partnumber for a complete engine. thanks, Michiel

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1