Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Battledress to match the bike

Does anyone know where I can buy battle dress to match my M20? I'm 42 chest, 34 waist and am probably looking at trousers/gaiters rather than DR breeches so I can wear them to Goodwood Revival as well. If anyone has a budget-friendly tip I'm all ears as £200 from Soldier of Fortune terrifies me!

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: Battledress to match the bike

Lee Davey
Does anyone know where I can buy battle dress to match my M20? I'm 42 chest, 34 waist and am probably looking at trousers/gaiters rather than DR breeches so I can wear them to Goodwood Revival as well. If anyone has a budget-friendly tip I'm all ears as £200 from Soldier of Fortune terrifies me!

Well Lee,

Orginals will set you back at least 3 times that amount, you could try the Indian gamble, or just go to Malvern on the 20th of Nov. and see if you can do a little better for repro stuff, all major dealers are there.

My 2p.

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Hi Lee, Post war battledress jackets can be found more cheaply than wartime ones and the detail differences don't matter too much when you have a jerkin over the top and can only see the sleeves...Likewise with the battledress trousers..the positioning of the pocket on the side instead of the front is only of importance if you want 100% accuracy rather than creating an appropriate general appearance.
I wouldn't go for the pattern gaiters..they are very soft webbing and aren't really serviceable unless you sew some form of 'stiffening' to the back, such as a piece of leather or another layer of webbing. Also, the straps are made of the same soft webbing and consequently are a fiddle to get through the buckles..they really need replacing with leather straps as well.
Check the size whatever you are looking at..it is stencilled on the inside face..I find I need a size 3 or 4.
When you do get a jacket if you want good replica badges you won't go far wrong with Divpatch.com ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks all.

If I went the post war route, is there an issue year or something similar to look for, like the war time p37 p40? Just wondering when the style/colour dramatically changed from the war time gear.

Also, what's the difference between the denim and wool-like uniforms?

Hi Lee..49 pattern is the one....Ian

Lee Davey
Also, what's the difference between the denim and wool-like uniforms?

About 50 degrees
Some of our guys use the British Denim uniform in the summer as it is much cooler than the all wool version.
I was told that in very cold theatres, the denims were worn under the wools, but that would be pretty bulky.
Vincent

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

To purists: 49 pattern blouse is like putting plunjer M20 parts (THE OBVIOUS ONES) on a WD M20.
Denims: blouses are still around, but trousers are very dificult. Repro denims seems to miss the colour, either too grey or for the early wartime stuff too brown.

Good hunting.

email (option): rvanmeel@wanadoo.nl

Hi Rob..You're right about the 'purists'..but they are never happy ...I used 49 pattern kit for a few years until I picked up two original battledress blouses in the larger sizes (15 and 1 )...but that was before they attained 'collectors' values.
Likewise with battledress trousers..the 49 pattern ones did the job as a more comfortable alternative to DR Breeches until I bought some earlier pattern SOF ones..which I have been quite happy with.
I also have a pattern SOF Denison smock which, unlike the originals, didn't require me to sell a bike to get it!
I think if your funds are limited 49 pattern is still a possible way to go...I found people still spoke to me when I was wearing it...even if some of them did it just to tell me it was wrong..

...Ian

Post war 49 patt loads avil, can be altered by a good taylor, I have bales of small sizes,12 and 13, made 1950,too small for you Lee !!, I bought them for the early patt buttons used again after the war,that are better than the ones used on repro stuff,late uniform war time, used metal ones, the material is the same as used early and mid war,I think by 1945,there were shortages and the material is thinner, by the way I belive 100% wool was used good hunting,HMM, I thought I wasnt a rivit counter, andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

how many rivets in a denim jacket

Andrew, would you have a pair of size 13 p49 trousers in the bale you'd like to sell?

Nieuwe pagina 1