Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Richard & Judy's book club

The last think I want to do is turn this forum into something resembling Richard & Judy's book club, but does anyone have any book recommendations?
From the top of my head I've read Raymond Mitchell's WW2 DR memoirs, Geoffrey Wellum's Spitfire book, Guy Gibson's bomber book, Bevoir's(?) D-Day book, The Longest Walk and a German account of the Russian invasion (Guy Sajer??) to name a few.
If you've a WW2 DR book to recommend, spot-on, but I'm all-ears to any suggestions as long as the books aren't too expensive - anyone seen the price of the Winged Wheel Patch? I can't afford books as well as the M20........

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: Richard & Judy's book club

You haven't mentioned Orchard & Madden's "British Forces Motorcycles 1925 - 1945" - It remains the bible for our sort of machine.

Old Jack Dienst's autobiography is a good read about his life as a section fitter with 4 Corps Signals. Quite a lot of technical detail. You should be able to find it cheaper than this Abebooks price but I believe that Jack died a few years back so it's not available new anymore

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=1290957939&searchurl=an%3Ddienst%26bt.x%3D37%26bt.y%3D5%26kn%3Dcivilian%2Bin%2Buniform

If you want a primer reagarding the British Army then George Forty's "British Army Handbook 1939 - 1945" is useful.

Hi Lee..That Guy Sajer book 'The Forgotten Soldier' is one of my favourites..a great account..You could try 'Whatever happened to the British Motorcycle Industry?' by Bert Hopwood..it's a fascinating (and disturbing) look behind the scenes at what lead to the collapse of the industry...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

The winged wheel patch, on Canadian Dr's is well worth a read.

rob

email (option): rvanmeel@wanadoo.nl

hi lee,great true to life story from the first war
''WAR IS WAR''BY EX PRIVATE X,if you see it grab it,its a good one,no motorcycles in it though cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

adventures of a dispatch rider by captain w.h.l. watson you can down load it free via http:www.gutenberg.org/files/16868-h/16868-h.htm it about a ww1 dispatch rider

The Canadian Military Motorcycle by Clive Law is good, but not a lot of M20 stuff as Canada was more into 16H's and Harley WLC, and Indian Scouts.
Photobucket

I also have The Winged Wheel Patch, bought it a few years ago when it was still easy to find. Now I see somebody has on on e-Bay at a start price of almost $200 ! I would have bought more when they were available!
Vince

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Thanks for the suggestions, they're now on my Amazon list. With the Winged Wheel Patch making that sort of money I may have to ask Father Christmas for that one....

Nieuwe pagina 1