Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What BSA Prototype is this?

Found this picture in a copy of 1944 "Motorcycling" any comments?

It's somewhat different to the 1945 B31.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Re: What BSA Prototype is this?

Very interesting Lex..The first BSA model with Tele forks was the 1946 B31..introduced in August 45 I believe...and of course this was based on a redesign of the WB30. Developement of both this and the rigid A7 twin were commenced before the end of the war.
The B31 also featured the speedo mounted in the tank, although with a 'bayonet' type filler cap.
My guess would be an early prototype version of that, but this is clearly in military spec...so perhaps BSA had an eye towards post war military contracts for the B31. I'd like to see some more pictures. An interesting feature is that it has a dipswitch..but no adv/rtd, valve lifter or choke levers in evidence and it has one solid and one pressed steel handlebar lever blade as well...If it was the B31 I would definitely consider replicating that.. ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

There's no more pictures, just this one, and was used in an article for "clean" handlebars.

So nothing about bike or anything like that, just comments on that there were only 4 functions on the bars, instead of on some other bikes 11!!!

Am reading a lot of the wartime magazines, so might come up with more interesting snippets.

Cheers,

Lex

Did they mention how..or to where, they had relocated everything?...Ian

I suggest it is a C-type. They had car-type automatic advance, no valve lifter and I think no choke either, very simple and clean !! Regards, Michiel

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

it has got canvas handlebar grips a late war prototype

Hi Michiel...Taking into account the subject of the article I think you may well be right...when did the C10/11 get it's tele forks?....Ian

There is a picture the same, but of a 1945 B31 in the book BSA Singles restoration by Roy Bacon. I don't have it with me at the moment, so I can't say which page. I copied the layout for the controls when I restored my 1945 B31
I have a similar picture of my B31, but I need someone to show me how to post it.
Thanks Keith

email (option): keithatkinson@hotmail.com

Ian Wright
Hi Michiel...Taking into account the subject of the article I think you may well be right...when did the C10/11 get it's tele forks?....Ian

Hi Ian, telescopics and speedo in tank from april 1946 according to Roy Bacon's Singles restoration. Regards, Michiel

Keith
There is a picture the same, but of a 1945 B31 in the book BSA Singles restoration by Roy Bacon. I don't have it with me at the moment, so I can't say which page. I copied the layout for the controls when I restored my 1945 B31
I have a similar picture of my B31, but I need someone to show me how to post it.
Thanks Keith

Keith, mail me the pictures, and I'll post them for you.

Here's the whole article:

Don't know if it's readable?? Note date!!

Who was J. Lowrey????

Lex

Keith
Thanks Keith

Hello Keith, found the page which you mean. Top picture is a 1945 B31 with telescopic forks as you can see. The bottom picture is the 1946 C11 still with girder and throttle cable through the handlebar. Regards, Michiel

Photobucket

What would the engine/frame number be, for these 1945 models?

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

The 1945/46 models are prefixed XB.

Here is Keith's Picture, asked him for pictures from the book, but Michiel has posted them already! thanks!

Lex

Thanks Alex; I have a BSA tank with the recess for a speedo just like the XB31, but it only has a flat bottom, so therefore it can't be for a B31. Did BSA C10/11 have a speedo in the tank??
Also like a lot of BSA tinware, do tanks have a part number stamped???
Just wondering what model it might be from.
Thanks Keith

Hello Keith,

From april 1946 C10/11 had also a speedo in tank.

If it has 2 small studs on the bottom (lefthand side) then it is probably a C10/11 tank, they are for fitting of the coil. Regards, Michiel

This is the earliest B31 information I have, 5 Sep. 194? Could this be 1944? Would they still make a rough press proof in September 5th 1945?

Henk

B31

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

After they had been looking for a lightweight standardised motorcycle in 1939 - 1940, and after the hybrid experimentals of 1941, the Army had decided on 350cc OHV models (Ariel W/NG, Matchless G3/L, Royal Enfield WD/CO, BSA WB30) and a 500CC SV Norton 16H. But in 1944, the Army was looking for a standardised model again. They had set their eyes on a twin now… So Norton, BSA, Triumph, Douglas and Royal Enfield were all asked to come up with a new prototype. The new specification still stated that the prototypes had to be of 350cc OHV or 500cc SV capacity.

Norton came up with a 500cc SV parallel twin with telescopic front forks, as did BSA and Triumph. The design of the Triumph was already nearly two years old at that time, and had been featured in contemporary road test in “the blue ‘un” and “the green ‘un”. This model later evolved in the TRW. Douglas had made a 602cc SV transverse twin, an engine layout that had been their speciality since the First World War.

Could this be the 500cc SV parallel twin with telescopic forks that was BSA's entry for this test I wonder? The Royal Enfield still exists (in the National Motor Museum in Beaulieu, http://nationalmotormuseum.org.uk/?location_id=335&item=211&offset=50), but I've never seen any pictures of this BSA prototype...

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Hi Jan...The BSA prototype still exists but in private ownership. The guy who restored it from a basket case did so with no knowledge of its military background. Years back I was taken out to dinner by Bert Hopwood (that's another story!) and among other things I took along was a magazine feature on that bike.(which I probably still have)..At the time I just considered it an interesting curiosity...When I showed the article to Bert he had a good look and then said..'Well, he's made a lovely job of it but that one was a military machine!'...Not as bad as the sidevalve Norton though..which Sammy Miller decided to finish in the Norton Grey even in the full knowledge it was a military bike...Grrr....Ian

Hi Ian,

I know that Sammy Miller owns a bike that's made with what was left of the Douglas late war prototype, but I didn't know he had the Norton as well... I'd like to see a picture of both of these!

Here's the Douglas:

Photobucket

And this is the Enfield prototype, now in the Beaulieu museum:

Photobucket

Jan

Jan, you've seen the Sammy Miller Norton. It looks like a 500T trials bike with a sv twin engine in.

Hopwood's book mentions that the BSA was designed by Turner after he'd defected from Triumph and Sangster got Hopwood to make a quick rival and release it sooner to steal Turner's thunder. Apparently it worked and BSA were not at all pleased.

It's a shame the picture originally posted appears not to be a B31...That is the one bike I always wished they had made a military version of...apart from the post war examples supplied to Foriegn Governments ...Ian

The picture server I use seems to be down! never had that happen before, hope they fix it soon

Lex

When I stripped my XB31 down for restoration the inlet and exhaust cams were stamped with the military crows foot. Often wondered why they were in there.

email (option): glenn_mullan@postmaster.co.uk

Hi Glen...I have never seen them marked that way. In your case they were probably M20 cams originally..they are the same profile and therefore interchangeable.
When I last went round the museum at Beaulieu I found the Royal Enfield prototype far more interesting than the Triumph 3TW as it displays much more original thinking...Ian

This 3TW??

Or was there a later version too??

Lex

That's the one.. ..and there are two versions...Ian

Ian Wright
That's the one.. ..and there are two versions...Ian

Yes, boring!! we discussed the 2 versions a while back, when I posted the Black and white pic's.

Lex

Henk, why bump this post up again??

You are surely wanting another picture from somewhere!!!

Cheers,

Lex

Here what appears to be a 1945 survivor:
http://bsamuseum.wordpress.com/1946-bsa-b31/

Hi Henri...That is a really nice early B31..I wonder what it sold for?...Ian

I thought so, and seems legit on the date. Mine is XB31 2269. Seems to fall in the early 1946 yesr I guess.

My BSA XB-31 1945/46

If you wish to keep your number off the forum, please feel free to email me the engine number on yours. Just trying to date mine. I figure March 1946.

Rik
Jan, you've seen the Sammy Miller Norton. It looks like a 500T trials bike with a sv twin engine in.

Hopwood's book mentions that the BSA was designed by Turner after he'd defected from Triumph and Sangster got Hopwood to make a quick rival and release it sooner to steal Turner's thunder. Apparently it worked and BSA were not at all pleased.

I just found an article about this bike in the December 1984 issue of The Classic MotorCycle. The weird thing is that they describe it as a 1953 motorcycle!

Photobucket

Jan

Here it is in the Sammy Miller Museum.

Photobucket

Photobucket

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

OOOOW! I'd just love to get at that with my service brown paint. It certainly looks 50's period. I'm going to get over to Sammy's soon (only 15 miles away) for a closer look. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I always considered Sammy Miller wanted his ass kicking for deliberately changing that bikes colour to a civvy one...not very good for a 'museum' ...Ian

Ron, that's the bike I asked you to take pictures off!!!

Here a scan from BFM:

It must be a postwar picture, with the buddy seat and taillight.

Lex

Change a tank and seat and it looks like a completely different bike.
Sammy Miller's is brilliant I went there for the first time this year and I was blown away with the bikes there. Much better than the national british motorcycle museum. There are bikes at Sammy's I didn't know existed, definitely worth a visit.

OOJ is a Birmingham series issued Jan / Feb 1954.

Hi Alex..There is at least one bike at Sammy Millers that didn't exist...though it does now and he has invented a history for it...My brother in law sold him the prototype Triumph engine... that had never been fitted to a bike.. and Sammy 'made up' the rest, and a story to go with it.. ...Ian

So there are bikes there Sammy didn't know they existed, till he invented them himself!!
Have been there maybe 15 years ago, a long time, but will try to have a look next time I'm in the neighborhood.

Ian did you get my mail about the NIFE batteries??

Rik, thanks for the numberplate dating, can't find my Glass's guide!

Cheers,

Lex

Hi Ian, I remember you saying about that just after I'd visited the museum. Luckily I took a picture as it was a "prototype" I think it was this bike wasn't it..? A twin 2 stroke, I think it was 200cc that was put into a Tiger Cub frame.

Photobucket

Hi Horror..that's the one..my brother in law bought the engine from an auction of Triumph prototypes and developement engines. There were some complete bikes at the auction..this was not one of them...documents with the engine confirmed it was a 'bench test' prototype.
He had ideas of fitting it into a cub frame and found one for the project...but you know how it is..
Sammy placed an advert in a Magazine for interesting projects for his museum and my brother in law responded. He sold the engine, other parts and, crucially, the supporting documentary evidence to Sammy, explaining its history to date at the point of sale.
It then went off to Sammys museum and got completed..and was given a ficticious history into the bargain. I have to confess I was pretty surprised when I saw it in OBM under the headline..'Sammy turns up another rare prototype' or something along those lines.
Being an old cynic I always considered that this was a move to 'create' a more valuable machine...after all a complete 'prototype' bike has far more value than just the engine.
That has rather coloured my view of the way Sammy operates though...a museum is supposed to record history, not invent it...
The Triumph and the sidevalve Norton (which was deliberately misrepresented as a 'civvy' machine) are two clear examples...I wonder if there are more? ...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1