Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Amal carburettor float bowl cap

This cap was found on my 276 type carburettor float bowl that was on my 16H. I know it's not right (?) for a 1940 bike, does anybody know what type and year was that cap fitted to?

Photobucket

It's surplus to my requirements, so if anybody wants it PM me!

email (option): ferrarakias@hotmail.com

Re: Amal carburettor float bowl cap

Kostas, that cap is exactly right for 1940. Guard it with your life !

Although the float chambers changed to 'mazac' alloy during the 1930s, for some reason the caps didn't.

I haven't been able to find any documentation showing the change but Martin Bratby the carb man did confirm to me verbally that they changed in 'about 1940' and he has had thousands of carbs through his hands.

It took me ages to find one of those in good condition!

I probably shouldn't ask this but are you sure about this Rik? Is this just Norton or also BSA?

Ignorant Henk

email (option): ahum&quicknet.nl

I don't know about BSA, Henk. It should be possible to see on M20 photographs due to that un-aerodynamic float chamber positioning. The photos make it difficult to see on Nortons where it's tucked away out of sight.

The Norton carb was different of course in not being an 'R' mixing chamber. If Amals still had 10,000 in stock, perhaps they kept sending them to Norton ?

It is consistent though that unrestored 1940 16Hs such as those which turn up in France (and now Kostas' bike) generally had the chromed brass caps.

I'll try to re-find some supporting evidence but I must've been convinced enough a few years back to search out one of these for mine.

If Kostas really wants to, I'll swap it for a mazac version - can't say fairer than that !

I already bought a mazac one, so I guess I'll keep it!
Thanks Rik!

email (option): ferrarakias@hotmail.com

I have one of these early brass caps myself and I am wondering if that might be the one for my early M20.

I'll try to see if any of the early bike photos show their un-aerodynamic float chamber caps.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Henk, do you have any early parts books with VAOS LV7 attachment ?

I've had a look at the following Norton books -

C9681/6 (1937)
C5109/15 (1939)
C5612/18 (1940)
C6127/19 (1940)

They all show the float chamber top as Part no. AM/14/208 with no change between 1937 and mid-1940.

This is not definitive as there may of course not have been a change of part number, simply a supercession part.

It's not comparable with the part in the actual book which continued to give the carb as the Type 76 and which lists the part as Norton number 9489 Float Chamber cap with tickler 14/011 which they used in the civilian lists from at least 1937 but if the description is correct then the VAOS part was without tickler whereas the Norton-supplied part was always inclusive tickler.

At least if you fit it, it'll help flush out the rivet-counters. A conversation piece at the very least and heaven knows, it's difficult enough to stand out from the crowd if one rides a WM20 !

Nieuwe pagina 1