Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MCR1 Regulator for sale

As part of my ongoing investigations as to what is lurking under my desk at home I've come across (as well as the crankcases) an MCR1 regulator that I mustn't need otherwise I'd have found it before!! It has a little bit of rust on the cover, but nothing too serious and it smells alright, no burnt smell and appears pretty clean inside. It is the bolt on type not the clamp up type, I can't guarantee it working but they usually do with a bit of fettling
Price is £35 plus postage at cost (£3.50 in the uk)

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Re: MCR1 Regulator for sale

Dave... Am I right that the MCR1 regulator must go with the shorter dynamo outputting 45 watts? and the MCR2 must go with the longer dynamo E3LM-L) outputting 60 watts or are they all interchangeable?? Cheers.

Hi Dave,

I can use it, can you send me a pm.

Bram

email (option): bram@ockhuizen.com

The MCR1 (Motor Cycle Regulator 1) was around for the 40 watts dynamo and endede being on the Lucas lists in 1949.

To complicate things, if you were to go beyond magdyno dynamo's, AMC (as in Matchless etc.) had a short dynamo for their singles models all along and including 1957 called E3N. This is a 60 watt output generator. So not all short dynamos are 40 watts.

With the introduction of the 60 watt generator (the long model, with the two journal ball bearings) came the new MCR-2.
But as a replacement for any MCR-1's Lucas did a 40 watt version of the new one too. The difference is in the part number and something electriocal on the inside.

Rob

email (option): rvanmeel@wanadoo.nl

Hi Bram, I've just pm'ed you

Thanks for that reply Rob... So am I to understand that there is no need for me to fit a longer (E3LM-LO) dynamo in order to get 60 watts. I can just keep a standard short dynamo and fit a later regulator the MCR2, tweak the settings and this will give me the extra wattage that I need. Seems too simple.

Never implied that a 40 watt generator could be uprated to 60 watt by fitting a 60 w regulator.

It is that what we call the 60 watts regulator can still be for a 40 watt dynamo, that's all.

Sorry for ruining your dream,,

Rob

email (option): rvanmeel@wanadoo.nl

Hi LJ I'm afraid that won't work. A short dynamo will max out at around 45 watts. When I fitted a 35W halogen bulb the 40W dyno would balance the load, but there was no spare to charge the battery. So I fitted a 60W dyno, end of problem. I kept the MCR1 fitted to see what happened. It has worked fine with the 60W since 1986, so, as far as I'm concerned you can run an MCR1 with the bigger dynamo.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Thanks Mick, Rob, seems the longer dynamo is the way to go then. Cheers!

Hi Bram, do you still want the regulator?

If he does Dave? Probably send it to me. I've got a bunch of other parcels here for Bram. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Dave
Yes send it to Ron, can you send me the
Total cost?
Regards
Bram

email (option): Bram@ockhuizen.com

Nieuwe pagina 1