Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Off topic soldering iron and drill

Bit of a long shot here, but there's a chance someone out there will have what I want.

I'm looking for an old fashioned electric soldering iron. By that, I'm talking about one with a large, heavy copper tip, wooden handle, etc (braided lead, spare tip and a box would be nice).

I don't want a modern one. I've got various old tools, which I prefer to use, and would also be interested in an old electric drill (circa 1950/1960). I'm interested only in working items.

I'm in the UK, but I'll consider anything from anywhere (not sure if a 110 volt model will work here on our 240 volt grid - advice welcome on this).

If anyone has an old soldering iron (or drill) they don't want and would like to sell, please email me on or off site and state your price.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

Re: Off topic soldering iron and drill

Danny, I recently bought one online in Holland, no makers markings or anything, 500 watts, and works really well to solder cables and bigger things.

I't very dangerous though, as everything exept the grips gets really HOT

It was about 75 quid, let me know if interested, you may be able to order it direct.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Hi Lex

I'd also be interested to know where to get such a soldering iron.

Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Ok, no probs, I was looking for one to solder petrol tanks, and that works really well with this one! even with the petrol still in it!

Here's the model: 1 x Soldeerbout 500Watt SDB1001

And the Dutch company that sells them:

FERAMO TOOLS B.V.
ZUIDERSLUISWEG 42
8243 RC Lelystad
Nederland
Telefoon: 0031 0320-253161
Fax: 0031 0320-797601
E-mailadres: info@feramotools.nl
Telefoon (bestellingen): 0031 0320-253161
KvK nummer 39097137
B.T.W. nummer NL 817414320 B01
http://www.feramotools.nl
Rabobank 125560346

You can buy similar soldering irons from Conrad, (www.conrad.com) but they are up to 4 times as expensive!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

what about the old gas type soldering irons that you heat up on a gas ring

Alex, thanks for that. I'll look into it.

Roger, thanks for the suggestion, but it needs to be electric. I've got electricity in my garage, but no gas supply. I've got various jobs on various vehicles that need to be done in situ.

Using a 110v tool on 220v main will certainly burn up the tool and may electrocute you. Power supplies for modern electronics are "smart" and can detect the voltage and automatically adapt, but an old-style soldering iron is not. Of course you can always use a step-down transformer but that makes things more complicated.

I'm not sure what is available in the UK but here in the US plumbers use soldering torches with self-contained gas bottles, about 10 inches long - somewhat like the gas bottles used on camping stoves. Many of these models also have various metal tips that you can fit to the end of the flame, which then contain the flame, get heated up like the tip of an electric soldering iron, and can be used the same way as an electric one. Of course, you still have flame nearby so you can't use it on a tank that contains fuel, but I would not recommend using the electric one for that purpose, either. The gas fired one also provides much higher heat levels to the soldering tip than the electric one.

email (option): jonny.rudge@verizon.net

Re: Apologies to Rick

Rick, my apologies for putting "Rob" instead of "Rick" on my last post - I've since corrected it. Thanks again.

Hi Danny..Haven't heard from you for a while..hope you are well...What you need now is a pair of Yorkshire working mans clogs and a wescutt to complete the picture... ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hello yourself, Ian, and see how you like it. I don't mind the clogs and the westcutt, but I just can't do justice to the accent. So for me I'm afraid it's a traditional boiler suit, a pair of hobnails and a touch of the old cockney (know what I mean, mate?).

Don't forget my article when you get around to it.

Nieuwe pagina 1