Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NOS Gearbox?

Back in September a guy named Aaron posted here a basket case M20 , and a parts bike for sale. Happy to say I passed on the info to a local friend who was looking for an M20, and we are now the proud owners (he got the bike, I got the spares bike).
For my share, I got a gearbox, frame, rear wheel, girder fork blade, and most of an engine. The engine and gearbox look very good.
In fact, the gearbox looks so good I think it may be either factory rebuilt or NOS! I'll take some pics and post later. But I'm not complaining!
Vince

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Re: NOS Gearbox?

Hi Vincent..That's a nice thing to have..Russell Motors used to have enough NOS parts to build a 'new' box from bits. In fact gearbox parts are generally 'slow movers' so that may still be the case.
I'm not one to hold back if I can upgrade my bike with this sort of thing, but even back then the total cost was unreasonably high after I had worked it all out.
So if you do have a NOS box you have inadvertantly stumbled onto a real 'winner'.
I have had two Army reconditioned boxes..One came in it's wooden storage crate which I still have..Sometime I will put a nice box together to go back in the crate as a 'display' item...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I had a N.O.S. M20 gearbox from Russels 25 years ago, and put it in my first (and last) M20 restoration, but it was so tight, it never worked properly till after about 200 miles on it!! but then it was really sweet.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

I have a friend who is one of the 'Ducatisti'..he has a 900 SS...he says Duke boxes don't get 'loose' until they have 5000 miles on them!....Ian

Looks good- with Cosmoline still on part of it, turns very stiff.
Photobucket
Photobucket

I'm missing the two long screws above and below the clutch pushrod arm, anybody have spares?
Inside of gearbox is greasy, doesn't seems to show any wear. Grease probably in the bearings.
The only part that looks used is the cap bolts for the inspection cover..
Vince
Photobucket
Photobucket

Hi Vincent...I am suitably envious. That is NOS not a reconditioned unit by the look of it. You should be able to get the cover screws from a fastener outlet on your side of the pond. They are 1/4" whitworth by approx 2 3/4" long with a Filister head.
UNC is not identical, having a slightly different thread angle but it is still the current thread form in the States and will fit ok for this application.
I have always found it difficult to get these screws in the correct form over here as the Imperial threads are gradually dropping out of the system and these are an uncommonly long thread at 1/4" diameter.
If you can find them over there in a Filister head I would be interested in buying some...Ian

hi,russells are listing 65-3062 2 required at £0.85 each
the cover screws are £1.81 each cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1