Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Front Wheel Bush???

Hi,
Has anyone come across the wm20 front wheel being fitted with bushes instead of bearings. My wheel seems to have a pressed in steel bush and then a brass bush pressed into that. I have a spare hub to use that has all the bearings and axel in but was wondering why someone would put bushes in.
Cheers,
Mike

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

email (option): jamik@westnet.com.au

Re: Front Wheel Bush???

Hi Mike..That is a pretty amazing alteration..For a number of reasons I would consider that completely unsuitable, though the wheel would go round! It is the type of thing frequently seen on machines returning from the Middle East where they often don't have the spares or money to do the job correctly. Though it is a fact these things sometimes happen here.. ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Yeh does seem pretty strange. But I suppose whatever it takes to keep it in service.Although you would assume on a long hike it would be pretty dangerous if everything got too hot and siezed. A bit like the caption contest photo.
Cheers,
Mike

email (option): jamik@westnet.com.au

I suppose it is possible the wheel was used for another application where bearings were not so important...like a handcart/farm trailer or similar..Ian

Maybe there should be chapter of weird solutions on website. I have some funny parts too. Like repaired front fork blades and self made piston:)

Photobucket

Hi Kalle..Some weird things do turn up..I would like to know the thinking behind that alteration to the forks!...Surely not streamlining??** ...Ian

The guy always wanted a James ML.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

I think it's just easy (clever?) way to repair fork with broken tubes.

MIke I think I have the matching rear.

Well, probably not but it looks remarkably similar. I picked this up in Bendigo years ago and my assumption was that it was used as a cart as Ian as suggested or a large pulley because the plain bush couldn't possible last long on a wheel doing any sort of serious rotation and the 'axle' size is quite large.
Looking in the bushes on this wheel they don't have any serious looking wear so I have no idea.

It is interesting that my wheel has had some red paint painted over the original olive drab as well (I have scraped quite a bit off but you can see some remnants).

email (option): rays54@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1