Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Base Workshop locations

Has any one ever found out the location of all the Base workshops. I have often seen the number stamped by the engine number and wondered if a list of theirr locations is in existance? Cheers John

email (option): tinley@btinternet.com

Re: Base Workshop locations

i had assumed that the base workshop number would have something to do with the ministry of supply as their name is printed on the data plates so i went to the national achives at kew spent all day there looking for any information with some help from them but i couldnt find anything even remotely that mentioned any base workshop numbers there is loads more to go through i think the REME museum have a few mostly from the BAOR

email (option): roger.back@node6.com

Hey John, get in touch with Steve Madden, he has a list. He did let me have one, but I've mislaid it!
I can tell you No.4 base workshop was in Cairo.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

every time this comes up, I bring out this email from the REME Museum:

" 4Base Workshop at that time was in Germany. The earlier use of this title was for a workshop in Egypt which had long been disbanded by 1953. The latter day 4 Base Workshop was at Bad oeynhausen in the former Eisenwerk Weserhutte factory. including its earlier designations the workshop existed from 1946 to 1958 and from 1954 was largely staffed by civilians.

BS Baxter
Technical Historian
The REME Museum
01 March 2001"

I think this is the list I have from from Steve. I guess this is war time information so

1 Base Workshop - located Sharjah, Iraq

2 Base Workshop - located Tel El Kebir

3 Base Workshop - located Palestine

4 Base Workshop - located Egypt

5 Base Workshop - located Cairo

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Great information. Many thanks. John

email (option): Tinley@btinternet.com

i was thinking if these civian workshop that the first number ie 4 might be connected to the main base workshop which would have been 4 base workshop in eygpt

Nieuwe pagina 1