Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ministry of Defence Vehicle Sales

Hi All

In the course of my research into when and where ex Home Office/Ministry of Defence motorcycle sales took place in the 1960s and 1970s, I have discovered that most were sold at the Ministry of Supply Ordnance and Supply Depot Ruddington, Notts. However, I have also discovered that some motorcycles were sold at other locations; Kinross, Carlisle, Colchester, Winchester and Stirling. I have managed to acquire copies of the relevant Ruddington and Kinross sales catalogues but no one I speak to has any information on the sales in the other locations.

Does anyone have any information what so ever on the Carlisle, Colchester, Winchester and Stirling sales MoS vehicle sales please?

Thanks, Dave

email (option): dave.stapleton626@virgin.net

Re: Ministry of Defence Vehicle Sales

Hi Dave

I have a sales catalogue which is missing the front cover, its dated Thursday July 7th 1949 and it says "the Depot is on the main road from Wolverhampton to Bilston, about a mile from the former town" (any ideas which depot his would be?). Its all BSA 500cc SV and Ariel 350cc OHV models with some tyres and odds at the end.

Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Here's the info I have gathered, by no means complete, but a start:

Info on disposal sites (From Key Cards)

Munchen-Gladbach (B.A.O.R.)
Here was the main disposal site, Colonel Penny was the head there, exit Holt, route 57 for Ayrshire Barracks (now partly demolished, and a housing site.
Home of 37 Rhine Workshops REME

Egginton:
Following financial difficulties the Estate was sold in 1940, bringing the ‘closed’ village to an end.
In WW2 the Hall was first taken over by the Army and later by the RAF. Bomber Harris of Northern Command would visit Egginton and plan his bombing raids over Germany.
After the War the Hall became a Local Authority home for the homeless.

Ruddington, Notts

Toddington
Gloucestershire (north of Cheltenham)

Long Kesh Northern Ireland
Home to RAF 231 squadron, motorcycle races were organised here on the first "Battle of Britain" open-day in September 1945. The story goes that grass racing was originally planned, but a new base commander thought that the runway would be more exciting. Racing continued into the 1960s, when it became the site of the Maze prison, infamous for housing convicted paramilitary terrorists.

CVD Irvine: CVD Irvine was an RAOC Vehicle Depot

FARELF: FARELF Far Eastern Land Forces
Singapore

ASC: Army Signals Corps?

BER: Berlin Germany?

MELF: MELF Middle east Land Forces

UNEF: UNEF United Nations Emergency Forces?

FTM: FTM Feltham

BVD: BVD Base Vehicle depot

Let me know any extra info please???

Cheers,

Lex Schmidt

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

I think "ASC" could be Ashchurch BVD.

Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Hi Dave,

I don’t know if you meant only for places in the UK or worldwide,
But I know that all or most of the bikes which were imported to Israel came from Cyprus.

The story is that it bought in quantities as scrap, by the throw of a stone, and you bought all from where you stood
To where the stone dropped..

Some came nice and complete, even new or refurbished with low to no mileage,
and some only as what was called here “horses”-
A frame with gear and engine, no wheels or front, no fuel tank, and those were competed here from spares,
Which also came with the shipment, or found locally in large quantities.

I can take a photo of one “horse”, still standing this way from the 50’s in a shed.

Hope it helps.

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Actually, I was only looking for information on the sales at Carlisle, Colchester, Winchester and Stirling...

Like to see that photo Noam,

Lex, UNEF was located in the Sinai and they had a LO in Gaza. I think they were required to dispose of their inventory within a two weeks period. I still know of a location where all of the Jeep parts were buried at El Tasa.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Hi Rob

Sorry, no information on that sales I'm afraid. My research is based on the ex-AFS Matchless motorcycles that were sold in the late 1960s and early 970s.

Dave

I remember buying stuff from Bicester in the early 70s and some of the lots were often located elsewhere.
I can remember for example, Steventon (Home Office) where NFS/Civil Defence Austin Gypsies and I think Matchless bikes were stored.
I'm not sure but possibly Winchester and Tidworth were other locations where material was located but it was sold by Midland Marts at the Bicester sales - its worth checking.

email (option): dbelcher1949@hotmail.co.uk

hi dave,just digging around on this,i found this article from hansard(house of commons)there are some links attached i have not tried,at tha bottom ,base workshops are highlighted. http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1957/dec/18/surplus-stocks-and-equipment-disposal
ps,i found this with a list of vehicle depots,may help
http://www.austinchamp.com/03%20Register/extras/photogallery/History.htm cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1