Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tips for sealing up chaincase

Together with my gearbox woes, I found I also have a leaky chaincase, despite replacing the cork gasket AND using blue gasket sealant.

I think this must be to do with the slight irregularities on the mating faces. So i've used wet and dry on eack surface to try to improve this, and i've bought some Heldite jointing compound. I plan to build up a few layers with this before finally putting the two together. I think my case must have hit a tree stump sometime in its life and is ever so slightly out of allignment.

Any other tips?

Re: Tips for sealing up chaincase

A tip I got from an old boy many years ago was to heat up some tallow and pour it in through the inspection hole after fitting the cases. It solidifies when cold and seals the lower part of the case. I have done the same thing but used 'linklife' boil in the can chain lubricant, which has the same properties..Just use enough to run fully along the lower edge of the cases..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

2 gasket with blue hilomar on all surfaces you might need some longer screws to pull it together at first then take them out and replace then with standard ones also start at the middle bottom and work your way round both ways

email (option): roger.back@node6.com

on this subject, should there be a gasket behind the inner chaincase where it mounts behind the cushdrive? If not what stops the oil from seeping out there? Also, a thought, why not do away with oil in the chaincase and grease the primary chain with the modern grease that you can buy? I KNOW I am going to be shot down for that one!

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

Andrew, I’m not going to shoot you down in flames for your oil free chaincase idea because it sounds very sensible. Ok so oil helps dissipate some heat but with all the drawbacks (leaks, getting into the clutch, constant topping up) that’s a small advantage. There is however just one problem: the cush-drive cams also need good lubrication. Solve that one and you’re onto a winner!

ChrisJ

I think the biggest problem is stopping the oil from leaking out where the screw holes are. I even think oil gets past the screw threads too. I'd dearly love to solve this problem as well.

I'm wondering if that both mated surfaces are very clean and grease free then a nice squirt of slicon sealer in a nice straight line, round the screw holes and then leaving it to set and fully cure.... then a smear of grease and tighten up the two surfaces together... wonder if that'll work?

ah yes, the cush drive. Well I had forgotten that! I will have another think then! is there a gasket as per my first post?

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

Nieuwe pagina 1