Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spark Plugs

I've just been reading on another forum about the probability of modern plugs having a built in suppression resister... Not good for mag ignition! Anyone know?

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Spark Plugs

That's right, usually they have a number with an "R" in it.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Be careful if using an old plug that has been for a car, as many car type plugs are resitive but do not have an R on them. For magnetos you need a non resitive plug, cap and lead, if not the resistance will cause the armature windings to heat up and burn out. Years ago you could buy a cap for mags with a low resistance 1000 ohms but nowadays the caps are 10,000 ohms which is to high. I hope I'm not teaching grandma to suck eggs.

What's a plug cap ? Would it stop me getting a belt when I'm fiddling for the fuel tap ?

Thankfully, my stock of old KLGs is not about to run out.

Leon and I both found one 5 pounds.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Period, but not an option for the Sweet Sixteen (H). I'm convinced that 'real men' don't need 'em.

rik stop fiddling with the petrol tap when the engine is running it should go petrol on kick start the engine or stop the engine with a valve lifter or stalling depends on which way you like engine stopped then petrol tap off this way there will be no spark to belt you

email (option): roger.back@node6.com

No need for plug caps just a brass connector, my mate cuts out the engine on his v twin JAP sidevalve by grabbing hold of the leads on tickover (this is his party piece when he arrives at the pub) On my WM20 I have a old plug cap from a seagull outboard motor looks like a klg type but a lot cheaper and does the job.Dave..

Can anyone make sense of these charts for Champion and NGK? Ron

http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/technical/champjpg.htm

http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/technical/ngkjpg.htm

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

AH well Roger,
This must be the "shutdown pro-ceedure" for an WM20 that was posted on this site a few days ago,bearing in mind,this posting has been initiated by "full" motorcycle licence holders,what a f+*cking joke,why dont you "belt up",haha.

email (option): glesgaman@tiscali.co.uk

Really useful charts Ron, I've got a copy in the garage. Take a standard NGK BP8ES plug, the B is the diameter of the thread = 14mm, the P is the shape of the end, in this case projected centre electrode insulator, 8 is how hot the plug runs, the lower the number the hotter the plug. So for hard use you want a cooler plug so a higher number. E is the reach = 19mm and the S is for standard copper core electrode.

So in this case, a resistor type would be BPR8ES

The diameter and the reach will be the same for a model of bike, but you can change the other options depending on the use of the bike (within reason)

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

tommy up north you dont need to have a motorcycle licence holder to own a motorcycle your to young to remember having to stall engines you would have looked for the key

email (option): roger.back@node6.com

Nieuwe pagina 1