Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Saddle springs

Hi
Please could someone confirm. Hans gave the sizes the other day of saddle springs.
6 3/4": 2
7": 2
7 1/4": 11

Looking at the picture below...6 3/4" should be the red holes. 7" should be the black holes and all the yellow should be the 7 1/4".Is that correct?

That is assuming i have the original 1944 seat...

Photobucket

email (option): Brandon@screengraphics.co.za

Re: Saddle springs

Hi Brandon,
Sent you a PM with a .pdf
Hans

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

all i have got to say on the subject is boinggg!!

email (option): roger.back@node6.com

Here are the details from the Parts List:

Saddle springs parts list

And two pics from the saddle:

Saddle springs 2

Saddle springs 4

The shortest springs go on the outside, then the next shortest springs, and then the 11 longest ones!
Hans

Thank you Hans!

hey,what a guy,tremendous response to a simple question
thats what this site is all about
thanks hans
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

There were a couple of forum contributors talking of having these mattress springs made..did anyone do it?..and are there any available to the original pattern?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

i had 2 sets made up in the midlands, did a really good job, but they worked out at about £40 a set..

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

Hi Chris..That only works out at £2.66 a spring..that doesn't seem too bad. Can you mail me the manufacturers details?..Ian

Hans WDM20 58764
Here are the details from the Parts List:

Saddle springs parts list

And two pics from the saddle:

Saddle springs 2

Saddle springs 4

The shortest springs go on the outside, then the next shortest springs, and then the 11 longest ones!
Hans

Hi Hans
I'm not sure if it makes a difference but the Terry 707 was the saddle fitted to M20s at the beginning of the war and I believe the pictures you and Brandon have shown are the late war Terry 831 universal pattern saddle. Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

This is an early Terrys (but Norton fittings).

Photobucket

I didn't measure the springs, I'm afraid.

Hi Rik...Can you take it all to pieces again and measure them?...it would be most helpful.. ..Ian

Ian Wright
Hi Rik...Can you take it all to pieces again and measure them?...it would be most helpful.. ..Ian

Listen smartarse...it took me about three hours to put it all back together last time, having failed to take proper notes on disassembly. I'm buggered if I'm going to do it all over again !

Rob Miller
Hi Hans
I'm not sure if it makes a difference but the Terry 707 was the saddle fitted to M20s at the beginning of the war and I believe the pictures you and Brandon have shown are the late war Terry 831 universal pattern saddle. Rob

This saddle was lacking the triangular pieces for the springs, so I made them myself. I'm not a rivet counter, so when a saddle fits, especially after the modification of the holes in the upper part, it's ok for me, period-correct or not ...

Nieuwe pagina 1