Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cheap? Indian parts

Is it my memory playing tricks or have Ghandi made parts had a sharp price increase? The prices below are 'direct from India' prices on e bay and do not include shipping..draw your own conclusions but some of them strike me as pretty expensive...Ian
Front mudguard £159.99
Rear mudguard £159.99
Toolbox £67.99
Oiltank £132.99
Petrol tank £299.99
Battery carrier £99.99
Rear rack £95.99
Top and bottom chainguards £99.99

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Cheap? Indian parts

hi ian,ive noticed that also,the carrier,pannier racks and exhausts are all creeping up.
i was looking at a petrol tank cap,they are best part of £50.00
i suppose if they arn't selling much they will push the price up
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Buyer Beware, these items are pure crap.

TTJohn

email (option): Jomichael@aol.com

Those fenders LOOK good, but I often wonder if the parts they picture are the ones they ship- I bought a Vokes replica filter a few months ago for about a hundred bucks, but at the same time there were others listed for double that price. It does not look as good in person as it did in the picture...
Currently, there are 10 of those filters listed, ranging in price from $86.49 to $209.99. Likely all made the same.
About a month ago I bought an NOS M20 battery carrier for $46.00 on e-Bay, while others list them currently at about $46 to $159 for repros, and one NOS for $93.00
It pays to shop around.
But, as long as people keep paying these inflated prices, they will only just keep going up.
Vince

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Having bought an Indian mabe pertrol tank cap (passable quality , does at least fit but the chrome is nothing short of shite) and an exhaust silencer (would'nt even fit until I did some fairly major engineering on it, and would have been much wiser to pay more for a British made one) I would say that some of these parts are marginally justifiable if you're absolutely stuck for anything else . I dont think I would go anywhere near an Indian made petrol tank , oil tank , or a set of girger forks , as these are not the sort of parts where shit build quality can be got away with even in the short term . The Indian suppliers gave me a free reproduction petcock as compensation for the dodgy exhaust , and even this , when it arrived , had the wrong sized union threads and had to be engineered in order to be useable . I think the Idians much spend too much time leaning against their lathes smoking hashish . I've learned my lesson the hard way . I suppose somebody has to .

email (option): leifevans75@yahoo.co.uk

you have to watch out some people are buying indian bits and flogging them off as better made items thinking they make AK47s replicas i wonder how many user kill themselves using them

email (option): roger.back@node6.com

I suspect the Indians..not being stupid, have seen the prices European dealers are charging for their parts and the the increasing price of original components and are pegging their prices to that.
I'm pretty sure some of these prices must now be unrelated to Indian production costs and labour rates and I guess the margins must now be pretty good for them.
It can only be hoped that a greater profit might lead them to think an improvement in quality is worthwhile.
I think in the end nobody really cares where the parts come from as long as they work well..If the Japanese suddenly started making Brit parts to their standard I'm sure we would all be lining up to buy those unobtainable items....
The upside of the situation is that as the Indians and the European dealers get more greedy and apply high market prices to these parts and as original parts are either not available or even more expensive, reproduction in Western countries to a higher standard will become viable again at a comparable price..As an example I can produce the early sump guard for no more, I believe, than the Indians would charge if they were to make that part..If the trend continues and the Indians fail to improve their quality they may kill the cow that lays the golden chapatis..Ian

Six Hundred??..there aren't that many Nortons are there? ...Ian

You're a cheeky so-and-so, aren't you, Mr. Wright ? Are you just jealous because the tiny Norton factory managed to retain hand-made bespoke quality and produced not far off as many WD machines as the industrial might of the huge 'Grey porridge for the masses' BSA group ?

I think that what you're failing to appreciate is that so many WD16Hs are "in denial" and finished in pre-war Norton colours. I don't see the same number of M20s finished in pre-war factory colours, although there are plenty that aren't in military schemes.

Not only that, the WD toolbox can be modified with a cheap catch to look something like the pre-war toolbox - still too deep of course but that's wasted on the masses and they fit them to their Inters anyway

I know it's hard to accept but BSA did produce more bikes than any other manufacturer at the end of the day..around 25% more in fact...and that represented by far the smaller part of BSA wartime production amongst the literally millions of other items of equipment produced...Norton?..you can't be serious ....Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1