Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Will these NOS parts reduce the engine noise?

I am planning to fit all these new old stock parts in my bike soon, will this make a lot of difference in the rattling noise it makes now?

Henk

NOS BSA parts

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Re: Will these NOS parts reduce the engine noise?

Yes, for the old rattles, but will have NOS rattles...

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

I guess I will like the New Old Stock rattle, the Old Stock rattle is a little to much heavy metal like for me.

Henk, Only if you fit them in the correct place mate.

TTJohn

email (option): Jomichael@aol.com

No noise at all in the location in the photo.

Henk

Hi Henk..Fitting these parts may, or may not, decrease the amount of mechanical noise.
I have been through this process more than once and have concluded that the engines were originally 'selectively built'
In other words cam gears, intermediate gears etc.etc. were matched in sets depending on where in the manufacturing tolerance range they were after completion of manufacture.
So, if you are lucky you will have a closely matched set of parts..if not you will still have rattles..and in a 'worst case scenario' some of the gears may be too tightly meshed.
You are highly likely to run into the latter problem if your crankshaft assembly was not trued to, or within, the .002" tolerance laid down.
Another factor not commonly appreciated is that a lot of mechanical noise can originate from the Magdynamo unit and that is not easy to cure...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Ian,

I have a few of these sets and it seems that I should put them all one a pile and look for the best match. I might just do that and see how much it will reduce the noise it makes now. Some bike can run so smooth and silent, I love that.

Henk.

Hi Henk..I have tried this with mixed results..one engine in particular was very quiet. As you say keep all the bits you have until you have tried them for 'best fit'.
I had a NOS M21 engine many years back that was amazingly quiet..so this must be the way to go if that is your aim...
You can do one simple test that will indicate whether the engine will be a quiet one...For example..With the timing cover off turn the engine over very slowly using a spanner on the crankshaft nut. As the exhaust cam rises it is compressing the valve spring, but as it goes over the top of the cam the spring then drives the cam and it will take up any slack in the gears.
If the gear clearance is excessive you will see the cam jump forward and hear a very audible 'click'...that will be a noisy engine. You have to reduce this to the minimum possible by swapping cams, crankshaft pinion etc. Having a 'true' crankshaft assembly is important here...if out of true the crank pinion runs eccentrically, thus varying the gear teeth clearances..tight, loose, tight, loose.....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

henk 2 way of having a quite engine is either ear defenders or put a lot of anti drum tar panels on your engine and then again buy a rolls royce old one are cheap now days i love the noise they make

email (option): roger.back@node6.com

Hi Roger,

Years ago I had a 1953 plunger M20 and that engine was running as sweet as a sewing-machine, do you use that expression? We Dutch do and if it runs like that it's running nicely. I have never managed that with any of my military M20s and I would like to accomplish that with these new parts.

Henk

Photobucket

Nieuwe pagina 1