Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oil pump drive spindles.Pt no.66-2620

I just ordered an oil pump drive spindle from Les at russels.He told me that there are a lot of pattern ones comming into the u.k. at the moment that have the teeth at slightly the wrong angle.Obviously if these are fit they are not going to mesh with the pinion gear correctly,possibly resulting in no drive to the oil pump.Bad news,especially if you have just rebuilt the motor like me. These things could start filtering through to the auto jumbles,so thought i would give you all the "heads up"- Mick.

email (option): sally_jones@btinternet.com

Re: Oil pump drive spindles.Pt no.66-2620

Sorry to the other Mick, but I bought one of those mall formed drives from Draganfly. The engine just locked up solid. Fortunately I was only at the build stage so no damage done. I got a good second hand one from Ian.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Good to mention that while my engines are still dismantled. May have to run these with a drill gismo to test them prior to installation. Long live Les and Russell Motors!

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Indeed Ron, the dodgy ones are made by Eversure. They are flooding the market with stuff that is 95% correct, however the incorrect 5% is the most important bit! I suppose I'm lucky that I can usually spot their parts at jumbles(not always though).
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Don't worry Henri..You will soon know if you have an Indian one..they are just about impossible to mesh with the crankshaft pinion unless you use a large hammer..and that is rarely the correct solution.
Seriously though..to anyone trying to fit one..don't try to 'force' the thing into place..you will end up looking for a crankshaft pinion as well ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I've just tried fitting a new spindle (bought a year or so ago from Draganfly) and I'm having a bit of trouble in that it consistently tightens up at one point each revolution of the spindle if I turn the crank slowly by hand (B31 engine on the bench, no piston fitted yet). Doesn't competely jam and turning the crankshaft by hand is just possible and if I turn the crank more rapidly it will overcome this resistance no problem. However it has already left traces of damage to the spindle "teeth", slight flattening on the flank of a couple. Any ideas? Is this a duff spindle or could I try dressing the offending teeth with a small file to fit? I have another used one that works fine but that is destined for another engine.
Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

I wouldn't fit it...I had one shed half its teeth as soon as the engine was run...and it was a b*****d to get the remains out. In fact the broken bits of teeth damaged the crankcase pump drive spindle bore whilst removing it....
It's unlikely you will be able to dress up anything with a file...both parts are (should) be hardened..It seems the Indian drives have the wrong tooth form and nobody should really be selling them....Ian

Right, in the bin.
Wish I still had the receipt from Draganfly (pretty sure I got it from them), by my reckoning it cost me 1.8 cases of decent beer!
Bugger!
Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

X2, the surfaces should have a Rockwell "C" number in the 50s. If a file cuts it, it's too soft even if it appears to be geometrically accurate.
They may be hardening these after final grinding, and the result is slight warpage - it "catches" in one spot.

email (option): sales@victorylibrary.com

Or the teeth may be cut out of true to the axis of the spindle (in any direction)....Anything's possible with the Ghandis (apart from a correctly made part.. )....Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1