Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
de chroming

anybody got any idea how to dechrome some small part ie throttle body and handle bar bolt

email (option): roger.back@node6.com

Re: de chroming

It can be tricky in my experience. I bought a plating kit to re-plate parts - it came with an acid pickle that is supposed to sort of activate the metal before plating. The instructions said it could also be used to remove old plating. I tried it on some seat springs but it started eating into the metal too, maybe I used wrong concentration.

So I usually grit blast small parts now, that takes most old flaking plate off, or makes a good enough surface for new plating (assuming you go for a dull finish).

thanks andy but all i want to do is take the chrome off so that i can paint it i tried to paint over the chrome but after a while it flakes off

Hi roger where about are you? I can de- chrome your parts for you that is one of my job's!! Am in the uk let us know cheers keith.

Check the material first Roger as many of the twistgrip assemblies are 'mazac' - see Kosta's problem :-

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1184324&cmd=show

These were a nice pair of 1940 Doherty clamps fitted as OE to his Norton.

thank keith its only some small bit i live in kent and rik the twist grip is a modern one hoping its made of a stronger alloy

Hi roger just send the to me keith at quality chrome
unit 1+2 malton st
witham
hull
hu9 1ba
just paid for the post mate! and i strip them for you
thanks keith.

Hi Kieth..I can't remember if this has been asked before..can you do traditional dull chrome plating?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Roger,
I bought some patchclear from a builders merchant which is acidic for removing cement. I put it in a bucket suspended the part I wanted de-chromed off some wire into the liquid then attached the wire to a battery charger positive I think, then attached the negative to a piece of iron also suspended in it but not touching the other piece. I switched it on and kept checking and the chrome dropped off leaving shiny brass. Wash this down with soap and water. If the poles are reversed nothing happens.
Hope this helps, dispose of the pathclear as per instructions on the tub.

Hi Ian we do not do dull chrome but we do a thing called nickel and chrome no polishing on the parts
look like dull chrome if you what send something to me and i do it foc (just paid for post) cheers keith.

Keith, if you don't 'do' dull chrome then you presumably aren't tied by any 'Magic Circle' code of silence ?

Are you able to tell me how dull chrome was applied during the 1930s and 1940s ? As far as I can tell, it seems to have died out as a commercial finish on things like Raleigh bicycles during the mid-1960s.

Is it related to the chemicals used or is there a process difference ?

Just curious and it's a difficult thing to research as there hardly seems to be a standard definition of 'dull chrome' but I know it when I see it.

Nieuwe pagina 1