Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1940 (?) BSA or Matchless identification

Hi folks! I'm new to this site and am posting here on recommendation from Henk. I have recently purchased what was described to me as a 1940 Matchless motorcycle. After talking to Henk, it turns out that the frame is not a BSA, as I originally thought. I am trying to find out what the actual make, model and year of this frame is. The number stamped on the seat post reads "22402". The engine, though not OEM to this bike, is a 1943 BSA M20 motor stamped "WM20 87258". I am new to the Matchless/BSA brand and don't know much about them. Even though it's in rough condition, it seems like a good project. Any and all help/info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Scott

email (option): Scooter619@rocketmail.com

Re: 1940 (?) BSA or Matchless identification

hi scott,any pictures available?cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Hi, if the frame is a matchless one, it would be stamped under the seat on the casting, the number you quote is for an early 1941 Matchless G3L (february), how it comes to be with the WM20 engine is a mystery!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

I've replied to your request on another forum.

Here some photos of that bike.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

I think your best idea would be to get a Matchless engine and restore it as a Matchless as the engines are pretty easy to get hold of even if you just make one up from parts, it appears mainly Matchless, so I think it would be the best way to go

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Yep! The frame, gearbox and oil tank are Matchless. The front forks are M20. I like the engine plates???? Not!

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Would this have been a G3 or G3L? The value of the M20 front fork and engine should cover quite a big part of the costs to make it a genuine Matchless again I guess.

I like the brass engine plates

Henk

I know what I would do.

Henk

The rear frame is not Matchless!!! it's M20. and the Matchless front frame is cut above the gearbox lug,(gearbox is postwar) so better overall to get an M20 front frame, much easier!!

The rear mudguard and stays are Matchless too, a real "Hybrid"

Hope this helps,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

For a minute I got excited, as I thought perhaps this might have been the B30 engined G3 built in 1941 as part of the "standardised" motorcycle experiment-
Photobucket
Photobucket
Unfortunatley the number or frame type doesn't match up, but why not build it anyway?
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

The same here before I saw the photos. He ONLY needs a B30 engine to build this

Henk WM21 2415
The same here before I saw the photos. He ONLY needs a B30 engine to build this

And you "ONLY" need a G3 frame an wheels, wich might prove more difficult on the loose as an B30 engine!!

Cheers,

Lex

You just have to admire someones ingenuity to put this together. It makes me wonder where the feed pile of parts came from? Where ever they came from there must have been a lot of choices.

This would be fun to make ridable, or put into separate piles and build TWO bikes. Or decide on one, and flog off all the other parts.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

An M20 frame front and gearbox would make it mainly M20...though I don't know what wheels you have. M20 rear mudguard, toolbox and oiltank are all reasonably obtainable as are a lot of the bit's and pieces required. I would go the M20 route myself...it's easier for parts generally.
Front mudguard stay looks like a Triumph one and it has the classic 'European' style headlamp..it looks like it might have come from Greece or similar.
Of course you could take it all apart, rebuild it properly as it is, with a full set of period parts and enjoy owning a conversation piece!!....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

its a moped it has pedals

Ian Wright
Of course you could take it all apart, rebuild it properly as it is, with a full set of period parts and enjoy owning a conversation piece!!....Ian

Ian, I would not feel very safe with this piece of frame missing!!

Cheers,

Lex

What has been removed can be put back...it is a bit unusual to use the oiltank as a stressed part of the frame ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1