Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The other rear guard ( period correct) plus rear wheel

Ok guys
the first 2 pic's are of the other rear guard i have for my 1945 M20-109711.Is this guard period correct? It is missing the tail piece. Can any one tell me what the BSA part number for the tail piece is? Or better still sell me one but don't forget, i'm just a broke Kiwi biker try'en to have a good time (cheaply)
The other photos are of the rear wheel that came with bike. As you can see it is a one piece wheel and i think it should be a QD quick release assembly. I am thinking of relacing the rim with the correct hub.Is this possible?
The other question i have is what is the correct rear rim width for this bike?

Photobucket

Rear guard 1945 or not?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Rear wheel- correct or not?

Photobucket

Photobucket

What width should it be?

email (option): wpgarage@xtra.co.nz

Re: The other rear guard ( period correct) plus rear wheel

Hi Phil..That is the correct rear guard for a 1945 M20. The rear wheel is a post war type. Actually it is a fairly unusual wheel. It is from a rigid M33 and was fitted just after they changed to telescopic forks.
These early tele fork models still had the non speedo drive gearbox but the front wheel speedo drive was deleted with the change to the tele fork type front wheel. So, for around 6 months only the speedo drive was taken from the rear wheel..you can see the mounting for the drive on the side of the hub. The sprocket is completely shot...
Rim width is correct...a WM3 rim. This rim will fit OK to the WD type detatchable sprocket rear hub....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian, have you ever taken a sprocket off the brake drum and welded on a new one? Is it a job worth doing or rather is it best to just purchase a complete new unit when the rear sprocket is worn?

Hi Ian
Thanks for reply, what time is it over there?. Do you ever bloody sleep? Oh na i'm just off to bed and you are just off to work?
Got the steering head bearings with Ron's not so cheap tool box. Thanks for that as well.

email (option): wpgarage@xtra.co.nz

Hi Brandon..On Phils wheel the drum is riveted to the hub, not detatchable and the drums/sprockets are unavailable, so for this type welding on a sprocket is the only real option. (the wheels aren't common either)
For WD models there is a very nice English made replacement drum sprocket...though it is currently not available (out of stock)...I enquired only yesterday as it happens.
There are still some fairly good originals that turn up now and again and both Henk and Henri have found some sprocket blanks that were originally made to enable a welded repair. No doubt one of them would sell you one if you asked nicely.
I have welded one on my rigid B33 in the past which also has nothing available as a new replacement.
Don't buy the sprocket/drums that are on e bay...they are Indian and made of cast iron...and the teeth fall off extremely rapidly....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1