Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
picture of a front hub together

Hi,

Does anyone have a pic of a finished front hub or a schematic of how everything goes together. I recently had my front rim refinished and now when putting back together, my speedometer drive is getting mashed into the spokes byt the girder forks when they become a larger diameter. (sorry I have a 1944 bsa m20)

thanks

email (option): jeff@infinitymedspa.com

Re: picture of a front hub together

Hi Jeff,

I don't know how to post on here. But, I did send you a private email

Cheers

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Hi Jeff, You may be missing the spacer that fits inside the speedo drive. (it is fitted over the spindle before the drive is fitted)...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

You can find a drawing here:

Front wheel

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

what has always puzzled me is on the brake side a retaining cup goes in before the felt washer yet on the speedo drive side the felt washer goes in before the retaining cup

Same here Roger, I thought the cup was to hold the felt but if it does, it runs against the roller bearing. So, inside our outside?

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

just looking at this post as I am putting my front wheel together and in, and looking at the schematic, I dont follow what you guys are saying about the felt washer. There is a cup that goes in against the bearing on both sides before the felt, but on the speedo side there is then another cup. Am I missing something?? Not too keen on plastering grease all over my brakes!

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

Hi henk
Which parts list is this from ?
Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

andrewH
just looking at this post as I am putting my front wheel together and in, and looking at the schematic, I dont follow what you guys are saying about the felt washer. There is a cup that goes in against the bearing on both sides before the felt, but on the speedo side there is then another cup. Am I missing something?? Not too keen on plastering grease all over my brakes!

The brakeside felt goes outboard directly against the brake backing plate. This is done to channel any grease that finds its way from the wheel hub into the backing plate "pocket", so as to prevent grease from reaching the brake shoes / brake drum surface...

On the speedo drive side, the extra cup positions the felt futher out on the spindle to prevent road grit from entering the bearings between the wheel hub and the speedo drive.

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

Hi Ian,

Have you a part number and picture of that spacer? I see something like what you mention, but those old drawings are not very clear.

Is the part number 24-6868? I hope so, as I am missing that part, then I know what to get or make.

Cheers

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

thanks John, thats very useful intel. Most kind.

I am having a bit of difficulty with the speedo drive and the washers/felts. even with the first cup tapped in against the bearing then the cap and felt it is stopping the dogs on the speedo drive from being able to push fully home this means the speedo drive is a fraction two far away from the wheel hub and not going fully home. Any ideas? is difficult to see from the schematic, but it looks like the first cup goes in open side inwards towards the bearing the next one the same way but with the felt in it? Is this correct? it certainly looks like that from the diagram.

andrewH
I am having a bit of difficulty with the speedo drive and the washers/felts. even with the first cup tapped in against the bearing then the cap and felt it is stopping the dogs on the speedo drive from being able to push fully home this means the speedo drive is a fraction two far away from the wheel hub and not going fully home. Any ideas? is difficult to see from the schematic, but it looks like the first cup goes in open side inwards towards the bearing the next one the same way but with the felt in it? Is this correct? it certainly looks like that from the diagram.

As you discribe, assembly sequence seems correct; The outer retainer cup and felt should sit just below the notchs in the hub where the speedo drive tangs engage. The amount of tang engagement is going to vary slightly but needless to say, the speedo drive body should not rest against the wheel hub or should it be out so far that it can't engage the hub.

If the hub speedo drive notches are not clear of the cup and felt, and both cups are installed properly....could the wheel bearing outer race not be seated all the way home?

There are not too many variables here, so I would be start with the sholdered spacers in the hub that the bearings seat against and work outwards. Assuming that all was working prior to disassembly, what has changed...?

thanks John, thats just what I did ! I discovered that one bearing cup was not all the way home, but even after reseating that and reassembly it was still not far enough in, so I have left off one of the two big washers. Not happy about it as they came off but I can always refit it if it all settles down. thanks for the help, Andrew

thanks John, thats just what I did ! I discovered that one bearing cup was not all the way home, but even after reseating that and reassembly it was still not far enough in, so I have left off one of the two big washers. Not happy about it as they came off but I can always refit it if it all settles down. thanks for the help, Andrew

andrewH

I assume you are referring to the 2 washers/spacers that the bearings seat against inside the hub...I don't see a p/n or an illustration on the schematic..

What could be a problem late; without that bearing seat/spacer to work against, it may be difficult to remove the outer race from the wheel hub without damage to the bearing race, as there is not much lip on the race to drive against...

My unbidden 2 pence-worth: while it's already done and your wheel assembled, I would say for the future that it would be better to cut down the shoulder on the inner cup to get the clearance you need, rather than run without the bearing seat...

Cheers,

JDE

the washers I am talking about are the external two washers to the speedo hub. So after you fit the speedo hub you fit two washers then a hexagonal nut. This should not affect the running from what I can see but its a mystery as to why I needed to do this. Basically there was not enough axle thread protruding without this mod to give the wheel nut enough of a purchase in my opinon

andrewH
the washers I am talking about are the external two washers to the speedo hub. So after you fit the speedo hub you fit two washers then a hexagonal nut. This should not affect the running from what I can see but its a mystery as to why I needed to do this. Basically there was not enough axle thread protruding without this mod to give the wheel nut enough of a purchase in my opinon

OK, now I understand.. I also am only running one spacer washer on the outside of the speedo drive, even though the drawing shows two...but my bike came to me like that in 1970..

Nieuwe pagina 1