Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DU42 Rim

Does anyone have a DU42 headight rim for sale? I have the shell and the clip. I have a rim however it seems to be the wrong size as it wont fit unless i force it on by bending the headlight shell 'lip'

Photobucket

Photobucket

Re: DU42 Rim

Not i, but i also need one. has anyone got 2 for sale

email (option): wpgarage@xtra.co.nz

This is common with the DU42. I have had NOS lamps complete, new shells with old rims and the reverse and generally have this problem with tight fit.
I 'tweek' the headlamp shell pressing and rim as required to achieve a reasonable fit with each unit. In fact I recently did exactly that with a very good used shell and a NOS rim for my up and coming M20 rebuild.
Unfortunately,buying another rim is certainly no guarantee of a better fit ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks. I bought a NOS domed glass and it just doesnt fit into the rim, its a bit bigger than the rim. Will have to keep that rim then and just get a piece of glass cut. Was hoping to use a nice glass in there.

What is the proper measurement for that inner diameter of the DU42 rim?

I think mine used to be a blackout mask that was stamped out. I bought it from someone here on the forum a while back...

Hi Brandon...The DU42 uses the flat glass..the domed glass was for the later MU42. Flat and domed glass headlamps use different, non interchangable rims and different sealing methods for the glass. The DU42 has a flat cork seal and the MU42 a rubber extrusion.. The rim in your photo is correct for the wartime DU42 with flat glass...Ian

Thats great news. So now i just have to get a piece of flat glass cut and make a cork seal?

Are NOS flat glass available?

Hi Brandon..that's it..apart from getting the rim to fit! ...Ian

Is their a preference to what type of glass i should get cut. Thickness/tinted/frosted....

I don't know the thickness of the glass without measuring one but I would guesstimate about 3-4 mm.
It is clear (untinted) but frosted...Ian

Thanks Ian

I have a NOS rim with some rust damage if anybody is interested.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Hi Henk,
I would be interested in your DU42 rim if none of these gents take up your offer!!!!
Regards
Daren

Here two photos of that rim, it has a good side and a bad side. Sounds a bit like me

Email me if you are interested in it.

Henk

Photobucket

Photobucket

Wrong one, this is just MU42.

Henk

Nieuwe pagina 1